Vickers Wellesley B(PR)III

Started by PR19_Kit, February 02, 2012, 01:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

So thats what you really wanted those bits for.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on February 11, 2012, 05:26:12 AM
So thats what you really wanted those bits for.

Hehehe, I'd thought you'd have worked that out in advance!  ;D

Thanks very much for them nonetheless, it worked a treat, plus I have two more bomb panniers to graft onto something else.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Oh I had a fair idea lol

So much for "ive got a kit with no wings" lol
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on February 11, 2012, 07:41:11 AM

I still have of course, but I have a few ideas for that............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Well, this build is totally awesome, &, Kit, you were telling a half-truth, anyway; for a PR19_Kit build it did only have half-wings, now it's complete.

Good stuff! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sequoiaranger

...as a recon bird, you could "sneak" up on your adversaries at altitude, cut the engines and then GLIDE silently around taking photos, re-engaging the engine when you were ready to leave!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

RussC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 11, 2012, 08:18:49 AM
Quote from: Martin H on February 11, 2012, 07:41:11 AM

I still have of course, but I have a few ideas for that............  ;)

The Vickers Warrington, first geodetic delta-winged jet light attacker.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

RussC

Quote from: sequoiaranger on February 11, 2012, 10:09:19 AM
...as a recon bird, you could "sneak" up on your adversaries at altitude, cut the engines and then GLIDE silently around taking photos, re-engaging the engine when you were ready to leave!

Some years ago at the nearby Pima ASM in Tucson, there was displayed a plane called a YO-3 Quietstar, a long winged single seat craft with a fiberglass body and a vinyl prop and well muffled 185 hp motor. Was supposedly a CIA craft used in Southeast Asia to get photos down low where the U2's and Blackbirds couldn't always look (too high) or the RF-4's / RF-101's (too fast) or the firebee scouts (too erratic). Was used just the way you describe with a high entry and low quiet exit. Supposedly was never able to be heard above the noises of the jungle critters. The plane was later preserved and moved indoors as the Az. sun was dry rotting it. Hadn't seen it last time there, might have been moved again somewhere.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: RussC on February 11, 2012, 12:48:30 PM

Hehehe, I like the idea but how the devil do I make a geodetic delta wing? All those little square depressions? Ouch!

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 11, 2012, 03:31:55 PM

Hehehe, I like the idea but how the devil do I make a geodetic delta wing? All those little square depressions? Ouch!

Why does it have to be the wing that is geodetic, maybe its just the fuselage thats geodetic?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: RussC on February 11, 2012, 01:00:16 PM
  Some years ago at the nearby Pima ASM in Tucson, there was displayed a plane called a YO-3 Quietstar, a long winged single seat craft with a fiberglass body and a vinyl prop and well muffled 185 hp motor. Was supposedly a CIA craft used in Southeast Asia to get photos down low where the U2's and Blackbirds couldn't always look (too high) or the RF-4's / RF-101's (too fast) or the firebee scouts (too erratic). Was used just the way you describe with a high entry and low quiet exit. Supposedly was never able to be heard above the noises of the jungle critters. The plane was later preserved and moved indoors as the Az. sun was dry rotting it. Hadn't seen it last time there, might have been moved again somewhere.

Read an article on the development of those many,many,many moons ago. Was an interesting idea.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on February 12, 2012, 01:52:06 AM
Why does it have to be the wing that is geodetic, maybe its just the fuselage thats geodetic?

I doubt Barnes Wallis would ever contemplate making a non-geodetic wing, be it straight, crescent or a delta.  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

RussC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 11, 2012, 03:31:55 PM

Could do a cheater scheme and create the dips with a frisket mask and airbrush. Lazymodeling 101 :wacko:

rickshaw

If you were to cut or make a lattice of 10 thou plasticard and then cover it with some cloth of some kind, you could simulate geodetic work quite well.   Cutting a lattice might be too difficult for most but making one from alternating strips of card should be much easier, laid over a base of plain plasticard?   If you built a jig of some kind it might be much easier (build the lattice first, then glue it to the base).  The cloth covering might be harder.  Perhaps a tissue paper which was "doped" using some varnish.  It would sink into the depressions between the lattice work and the base underneath would prevent it from going too far.   You could then cut to measure then.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Hm, yes.............  :-\

The Wellesley's current geodetic 'squares' are only about 3-4 mm across though, doing it with the 'strip and cloth' method would be pretty labour intensive and quite difficult to reproduce in 1/72 scale, the thicknesses would be positively minute!

I quite like Russ' idea about airbrushing them on, except that I've never airbrushed ANYthing in my life before and have only just got all the hardware needed for such a process this year.  ;D

I think this one's on the back burner for a while, but I do like it anyway.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit