Main Menu

a new toy to play with

Started by thedarkmaster, February 02, 2012, 02:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedarkmaster

well been put on the team at the local air museum which gets to look after ( play with ) this

now a few of the bits on these pictures are apparntly still US property and the museum has had to get special permission from Washington to be allowed to keep them  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Can you guess the aircraft from these pictures ??

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Cliffy B

An early model AEW or maritime patrol aircraft?  E-3, EC-121, P-3?  Looks like its from the 60's-70's with the full analog panels.  Anywhere close?
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

RussC

Doesn't look like a 707 front office, so not an AWAC's. I'll suggest its a Nimrod or P3A.

Your second picture from the top is intriguing, I see a plain old Tektronix 455A, my old standby on the front lines at IBM many years ago at the top of the rack, not bolted in but hanging on its connectors, so it can go portable in a flash.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

PR19_Kit

For sure that's a Nimrod MR2 you have there, lucky beggar!  :thumbsup:

It could be an R1 too, the cockpit's are the same, but I doubt Washinghton would have let ANY of the stuff carried in an R1 be allowed 'out in public'.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

thedarkmaster

She is a Nimrod but not a MR" she is the only R1 left.........we still have so much stuff fitted , we have the capability to listen to every phone call within 50 miles, if we wanted to  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

rickshaw

Don't let Rupert Murdoch know that...  ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: thedarkmaster on February 02, 2012, 03:00:13 PM

She is a Nimrod but not a MR" she is the only R1 left.........we still have so much stuff fitted , we have the capability to listen to every phone call within 50 miles, if we wanted to  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yea but can you get Radio 5 Live ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 03, 2012, 01:02:28 AM

No chance, but Radio Derby should be just about possible if you point the aerial in the right direction.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

thedarkmaster

thedarkmaster

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2012, 01:49:21 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 03, 2012, 01:02:28 AM

No chance, but Radio Derby should be just about possible if you point the aerial in the right direction.  ;D

surprisingly don't think we can .......it's all miltary grade multiple scan units which can frequency hop ( so I'm told ) but she has had her basic radios removed  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

there is a full load of equipment in the bomb bays which when the light improved i will post for anyone interested, i will also post the anttena fit for anyone whom wants to see them.

Hobbes

Cool stuff; I'll have to come visit sometime.

AeroplaneDriver

Nice to see the Nimrod had the same landing gear indicator as my beloved Jetstream!  lol

Great stuff!!   :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Gondor

Is the second picture looking from the front or from the rear of the aircraft?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

thedarkmaster

Quote from: Gondor on February 06, 2012, 08:23:49 AM
Is the second picture looking from the front or from the rear of the aircraft?

Gondor

it's about a third of the way down the aircraft lookinf forward, it's one of three work stations like it along the fueselage