Main Menu

the "Whif-lympics" TB / GB

Started by Spey_Phantom, February 03, 2012, 11:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

just a thought here, we already did group builds based on the world cup soccer (africa GB) and the annual awardshow "The Whiffies" (based on the Oscars).
i was thinking why not do our own version of the Olypmic games.

subjects can be:

-200 mile Air Racing (categories Biplane, warbird,  Jet trainers and Fast jet)
-Aerobatics competition
-200 mile Submarine race
-conventional bombing competition
-Post-apocalyptic demolition Derby
-JMN Hammer Toss (sorry, had to place that one :D)
-50 lap tank race
-MUI competition (MUI = Modelling Under Influence)

i think we got some great possibilities for everyone  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

MilitaryAircraft101

And the Schneider Trophy race specially coordinated to coincide with the 2012 Olympics. It includes a low pass through London and Tower bridges  ;D

PR19_Kit

Through LONDON Bridge? They better be small aircraft! It's only got about 30 ft clearance...........  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

MilitaryAircraft101

Lol... OF course, fighters, naturally. A typhoon seaplane is only about 15ft tall with gear up  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

tigercat

perttime

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2012, 01:58:45 PM
Through LONDON Bridge? They better be small aircraft! It's only got about 30 ft clearance...........  :o
Width or height?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: perttime on February 04, 2012, 06:00:27 AM
Through LONDON Bridge? They better be small aircraft! It's only got about 30 ft clearance...........  :o
Width or height?

Height, the longest span is 340 ft so you could just get the Hughes Hercules through it, but you'd lose the fin, and most of the fuselage too!

Note the pic is taken at low tide, you can see the hight tide mark on the piers, there's VERY little height to to get an aircraft through there. The Red Bull racers might just manage it, but no-one else I reckon.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I am guessing that Tower Bridge was being thought of rather than London Bridge. A lot more space between the road surface and the latice work between the towers.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

MilitaryAircraft101

No, I was thinking about London bridge  :wacko: Like I said previously, we can still fit a Eurofighter Seaplane through there  :blink: YOu'll have to wait for my alt history that's coming soon.  :rolleyes:

Weaver

Quote from: Nils on February 03, 2012, 11:48:19 AM

-conventional bombing competition

What is the prize for: accuracy or weight of bombs dropped in, say, an eight hour period by a single aircraft based 200 miles away? You could call the latter the Arthur Harris memorial trophy... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

How about a round-Britain race, on a course drawn around the coastline? For added interest, and as a levelling factor, you could have ALL the fuel supplied by the organisers in units of no more than 100 gallons: you can use as many units as you like, but you can only take on one at a time. That should lead to some interesting "tortoise and hare" scenarios as fast jets scream ahead, then have to divert to good runways to refuel, while light aircraft do the whole thing on one tank and amphibians refuel from boats positioned right on the course line.... :wacko:

The submarine race is an interesting one, although I suspect that 200 miles isn't long enough. I also think you'd need separate nuclear and conventional categories, or else there's goingto be a very small pool of winners.... On the other hand, if navies were excluded, so all entries had to be specially-built-to-a-formula civilian vessels, then 200 miles might be plenty... :blink:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitbasher

A Hunter was flown through Tower Bridge in 1968 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter_Tower_Bridge_incident).   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on February 04, 2012, 02:38:24 PM

A Hunter was flown through Tower Bridge in 1968 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter_Tower_Bridge_incident).   ;D ;D

Indeed, and a guy in a Vampire did it some years before that, but neither of them went under London Bridge, either the current one or its predecessor, now in Arizona or somewhere nearby.

Regards
Kit

tigercat

would that be a cross country tank race? ;D

Spey_Phantom

if Thunderbird 2 can fly through, then any fighter can to  ;D

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

puddingwrestler

Ah. but Thunderbird 2 has 'plot convenience variable geometry' - it can fit through any space the plot says it can fit through!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.