Looking for a name

Started by rickshaw, February 05, 2012, 04:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I'm looking for a synonym for the word "Gnat" as a name for a new whif.   Preferrably one that hasn't been used - if that is possible.   I'm aware of "Mosquito" - "Gnat" afterall is an old Germanic word for "Mosquito".  Problem is, "Mosquito" is synonymous with the famous de Havilland product and so really cannot be reused.  Any suggestions?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Cliffy B

Cootie, Flea, pest, Midge, Sandfly, "No-see-um".

Mosquito translates to "little fly" so maybe some fly species might work?  Mosquitoes, Gnats, and Midges are in the same family so one of them might work as well.

Will this whiff's specialty be?  Might help narrow down some possibilities.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

perttime

Here's a list of close relatives of the gnat, or Culex pipiens (the common house mosquito):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Culex_species#Subgenus_Culex_Linnaeus

rickshaw

Thanks, I'm looking more for common, rather than scientific names.   As to the aircraft's role - its a strike aircraft.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Rat

Is this going to be in service with an English speaking country? If not, find the name for a mosquito in whatever language it will serve under.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

perttime

The Gaelic for gnat seems a little cumbersome. Otherwise it would be a possibility for the British Isles.

sandiego89

How about Tsetse?  Perhaps too large of an insect, but a good name for a ground attack theme as the name is fairly well known, it feeds on blood and makes it's enemies sick.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Mossie

Flea?  Not in the family but a tiny insect that causes more annoyance than it's size.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

But wasn't 'Tsetse' the name already given to the Mosquito XVIII with the 6 pounder Molins gun?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Flea is also a fairly well known aircraft.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Mossie

It wasn't a combat aircraft though.  Flying Flea was only a rough English translation that rolled of the tongue, not the official name (Pou du Ciel).
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Rat

Quote from: Mossie on February 05, 2012, 02:55:58 PM
It wasn't a combat aircraft though.  Flying Flea was only a rough English translation that rolled of the tongue, not the official name (Pou du Ciel).

And which, if I recall correctly, translates as 'Sky Louse'.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

ChrisF

VESPID  ?

Its a type of wasp...

CammNut

Stinger, Nipper, Strikefly (as in Sandfly)

or if you want to tip a hat to your inspiration, the Stingnat or Midgefighter...

In the US they call midges no-see-ums - but then it would have to be stealthy!