French Foreign Legion Sea Harrier

Started by RPadavan2, February 06, 2012, 02:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPadavan2

After a brief hiatus as I started working at a new job, I finally was able to finish another model over the weekend

In an effort to provide immediate air defense and close air support to the French Foreign Legion, France decided to enter into a contract with BAE to purchase the Sea Harrier.  This allowed the Legionaries to operate from forward deployed Legionnaire outposts, established permanent airfields and from French carriers as well.

This is a WHIF that came to mind after buying the Sea Harrier kit to use the decals on another model.  The model is a 1/144th Minicraft Sea Harrier, the decals are from a 1/144th Minicraft Mirage F-1 and DIY (the Legionnaire markings on the tail and nose).  The quality of the Legionnaire markings dropped off when I reduced them with MS Paint, but at this time it is still the best program I have to modify and make my own decals.  Not much showing, but the hanger in the background is made from Woodland Scenic's Modular Wall sections with plastic card stock for the hanger doors.

NARSES2

The idea of a Foreign Legion AF opens up all sorts of markings options  :thumbsup:

Just realised it's 1/144  :o Double impressed
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

MilitaryAircraft101

Hobbes

Nice! And gives a whole new meaning to Foreign Legion...

pyro-manic

Nice! Much like RAF roundels (and variants), French roundels look great on pretty much anything. :thumbsup:

For image-editing, might I suggest GIMP? It's completely free, and is very powerful. www.gimp.org
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Captain Canada

Nice little Harrier there ! I like the simple diorama as well. I really need to do up a hangar backdrop.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

lancer

Quote from: pyro-manic on February 07, 2012, 04:32:11 PM
For image-editing, might I suggest GIMP? It's completely free, and is very powerful. www.gimp.org

I've got Gimp on my machine as part of my web design course. From what I've seen and used of it so far it looks pretty good.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

sandiego89

Nice! I approve of all things harrier/sea harrier. Does the kit come with gun pods? Some 25mm might come in handy to deal with those pesky desert bandits. Great idea to do it up in those markings.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Weaver

Nice and provocative idea!  :wacko: :thumbsup:

Minor observation: it should probably have Matra 550 Magics instead of Sidewinders, but I appreciate that getting those in 1/144th might be non-trivial.

Sandiego: gun pods would be RAF first generation 30mm style, but re-engineered with DEFA rather than ADEN cannon at great expense, of course... 
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones