DH Beaver Torpedo Bomber

Started by tigercat, February 06, 2012, 11:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

Presumably bush planes such as the Beaver and the Norseman with their STOL capacity would work well as carrier aircraft. With their passenger capacity they'd make good Carrier onboard delivery aircraft but could the Beaver also double as a Torpedo bomber?

Sticky Fingers

Maybe with a Very Small & Light Torpedo, such as the Mk54?
The top speed and rate of climb (255 kph / 5.2 meters per second) of a Beaver is about half that of what a Grumman Avanger could produce 442 kph / 10.5 meters per second). Hanging a 1000 kg explosive fish underneath doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Then again, I know about as much about torpedo bombers as I do about, oooowwwwhhhh.... most things, so I could be the most wrongest person in the history of wrongness.

tigercat

hmm back to mthe drawing board. What about if you stuck Pegasus off the Swordfish on the front.

Mossie

If it's an actual Beaver conversion your looking at, you'd want some bigger like Twin Wasp at least.  At the time the DHC-2 was coming online you've got aircraft like the S-2 Tracker, Breguet Alize & Fairey Gannet in development.  Larger & much more capability than you would get out of the Beaver airframe.  However, there's a way in.  The Short Seamew was designed as a lightweight anti-submarine aircraft.  It didn't pan out, but what if Navies had gone for the lightweight ASW approach?  You might find some low-cost derivative designs.  Swap the engine for a larger radial, or pereferably a turboprop like the dart or single Mamba, add in a weapons bay or a recess for a fish.  Not ideal but it if your a cash strapped Navy it might be your only option.

If your looking at the Beaver as a basis for a kitbashed torpedo bomber, then using Swordfish components might be possible, going for something along the lines of the Fairey Albacore maybe?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Quote from: tigercat on February 07, 2012, 03:36:37 AM
hmm back to mthe drawing board. What about if you stuck Pegasus off the Swordfish on the front.

Why not just use a Swordfish with improved high-lift devices on the wings?  Slots, flaps on both top and bottom wing would improve an already excellent STOL performance to something like the Beavers.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

tigercat

I was looking at the Beaver and it reminded me of the Albacore and I thought that while it was a post war aircraft it wasn't that far post war that it couldn't have been designed 4 or 5 years earlier so what about turning it into an Albacore alternative.

I will add the high lift Swordfish to my list of Swordfish plans

I am currently developing a Mercury & Kestrel powered Swordfish  plus one with an engine from the spares box that I believe was off a Do 217 must check what it was which looks very He 51 ish   Also I am grafting Swordfish onto a Heyford bwahaahhhaa.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on February 07, 2012, 03:50:07 AM
Quote from: tigercat on February 07, 2012, 03:36:37 AM

Why not just use a Swordfish with improved high-lift devices on the wings?  Slots, flaps on both top and bottom wing would improve an already excellent STOL performance to something like the Beavers.

Fiesler developed something pretty much like that for the Graf Zeppelin: the Fi-167 Imagine an in-line engined Swordfish with two sets of scaled-up Storch wings with ALL the toys on them.... :blink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fieseler_Fi_167

"One notable demonstration showed the type's excellent low speed performance when Fiesler himself sank the Fi 167 from 9,800 ft. to 100 ft. while remaining stationary over one spot while retaining full control."  :blink:

From Here
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tigercat

I recently saw a Storch at Duxford and when it flew into the wind it was practically hovering.

jcf

Cross a Beaver with the Beech Model 24 proposal and turn that into a torpedo bomber:

;D

Bill TGH

cheers
Bill TGH

{..its all about completion... not perfection }

Wanted - 1 Kidney,
call Sue Melvin, Living Donor Coordinator, Saint John Regional Hospital

Aircav

Got hold of the Beaver Parts Catalogue and I knew that it could be fitted with wing pylons but I didn't know about the fuselage pylon, TORPEDO AWAY!!

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader