What would be a Good ASR(Air Sea Rescue) Aircraft for a Dio?

Started by Cobra, February 22, 2012, 10:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, as You know, I'm planning to Build an ASR Diorama, a Question for You:What would Be a Good Choice for an aSR(Air Sea Rescue) Aircraft? i was Considering the Following:F-14A Tomcat in Chrome Yellow with ASR on the Wings & Tail,C-130 Hercules in Chrome Yellow,F-105 Thundercheif in Chrome Yellow or a CH-53 in Chrome Yellow as an ASR copter. are there any other Suggestions for my dio?  I'm planning for it to be in Either 1/48 or 1/72. What Say You? Thanks for looking. Dan

bearmatt

I would go for an Osprey V-22...
Perfect combination of plane and helicopter  :wacko:
The carpet monster took it!

Old Wombat

I take it we're talking current?

C-130J Hercules, C-27J Spartan, CH-47 Chinook, CH-53 Sea Stallion, Britten-Norman BN-2A Mk III-2 Trislander, Eurocopter AS332 Super Puma, UH-1H

Depends on what you want to do & how much whiffin' you're willing to put in. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I can't see that an F-14 or an F-105 would have anything to offer an ASR unit.

They're too limited in their spec. and have almost none of the attributes needed for an ASR aircraft, no downward visibility, very high fuel consumption at low levels, no low speed capability, only two seats at maximum, zero capability to help a survivor apart from waving as they scream past etc. The bigger, slower and larger crewed transport types would do a much better job.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RussC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 23, 2012, 01:06:10 AM

They're too limited in their spec. and have almost none of the attributes needed for an ASR aircraft, no downward visibility, very high fuel consumption at low levels, no low speed capability, only two seats at maximum, zero capability to help a survivor apart from waving as they scream past etc. The bigger, slower and larger crewed transport types would do a much better job.

I'm going to suggest with just a little devils advocate for the zoomers here and say that while the original design of these was anything but rescue and search, consider that in a modern age of better communications and signalling, the element of response comes more to play, and speed vital to that. Being creatives in the aero concepts field, what could we ADD to a Tomcat, or a Sea Vixen or Tornado to increase its potential as instrument of mercy, by removing the combat parts and adding new equipment. How could we increase the downward view, and even provide the ability to safely deploy a parajumper/ paramedic or two at a site after a high speed approach. Think about air droppable gear loading with a streamlining and size consideration.

Classic ASR was Search, but Response is also critical, most especially at sea. The two pronged approach where you have a fast component to get someone there to take charge, immediate help and coordination (Thunderbird 1) followed by the heavier assets with specialized functions (Thunderbird 2, carrying 4 and other pods').

Off the soapbox...
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Army of One

Gotta be a Mi 24....!!!!two inboard pylons for fuel tanks then the others for droppable life saving stuff....inflatable rafts n such....leaving cabin free for the rescue crew.....change the doors from top/bottom opening to sliding.....winch above each side and some form of step I case of landing to pick up survivors...chin gun replaced with any array of optic/sensor fit you want.....even add a refuelling prob a-la MH53 style....oh yes.....can see that big old Monogram/Revell D version now done like that in a bright colour scheme.....!! H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

Quote from: RussC on February 23, 2012, 01:44:11 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 23, 2012, 01:06:10 AM

I'm going to suggest with just a little devils advocate for the zoomers here and say that while the original design of these was anything but rescue and search, consider that in a modern age of better communications and signalling, the element of response comes more to play, and speed vital to that. Being creatives in the aero concepts field, what could we ADD to a Tomcat, or a Sea Vixen or Tornado to increase its potential as instrument of mercy, by removing the combat parts and adding new equipment. How could we increase the downward view, and even provide the ability to safely deploy a parajumper/ paramedic or two at a site after a high speed approach. Think about air droppable gear loading with a streamlining and size consideration.

Classic ASR was Search, but Response is also critical, most especially at sea. The two pronged approach where you have a fast component to get someone there to take charge, immediate help and coordination (Thunderbird 1) followed by the heavier assets with specialized functions (Thunderbird 2, carrying 4 and other pods').

Off the soapbox...

I can see the argument for getting out to the search area fast and then (using swing wings) cruising around relatively slowly to conduct the search. However the question then is, how effective is a fast jet's search? Looking for a man in the water is damned difficult, even for an LRMPA with multiple observers behind bubble windows: what chance have two crew sat in the top of a fighter got? Until relatively recently, I'd have said "not much chance at all", but modern electonics might make it viable. Could FLIR/targetting pod technology be used to provide a broad-area search sensor, perhaps with automatic target aquisition so that the back-seater only has to "examine the flagged contacts" rather than staring at a screen for hours?

I still think that something like a high-subsonic business jet, as actually used by various air arms, is a more viable fast-responder than a fighter. If you're going really whiffy, why not make something like a swing-wing supersonic business jet?  :mellow:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

That could be interesting - Revell do some bizjets (Learjet, Falcon, maybe a couple of others) in 1:48. Stick an IRST turret and some liferaft pods, flares, etc underneath, and put it in coastguard colours. A Hind would look epic in bright yellow. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

martinbayer

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

raafif

I like the CH-53 idea

Maybe a Sea-Buffalo ? (the one with rubber raft & tip-floats).
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Shagbat - when nothing else can fly, a Shagbat will always get through.    :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Army of One

Quote from: scooter on February 23, 2012, 05:51:58 PM
Ekranoplan!  Not quite plane, not quite boat.

Like the idea......my knowledge ain't great on them....what would it be like in choppy seas.....? Would it be to low to carry out a decent visual search....?
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!