What would be a Good ASR(Air Sea Rescue) Aircraft for a Dio?

Started by Cobra, February 22, 2012, 10:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Ekranoplans,also known as WIGEs skim the Sea Surface, kinda like a Hovercraft. not sure Who offers a Model of an Ekranoplan or the Price. does that Help,Army of One? Dan

RussC

Quote from: scooter on February 23, 2012, 05:51:58 PM
Ekranoplan!  Not quite plane, not quite boat.

Hear hear! must be my aging gray matter for not thinking of that!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Cobra on February 23, 2012, 09:44:10 PM
....... Who offers a Model of an Ekranoplan or the Price. does that Help,Army of One? Dan

Revell did one of the smaller A-90 Orlyonok ones, the one with one big turboprop on top of the fin, but it was 1/144 scale.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: scooter on February 23, 2012, 05:51:58 PM
Ekranoplan!  Not quite plane, not quite boat.

Good call & it's got real world legs.  The Lun class were in the process of being converted into a civillian rescue version, Spasatel, before eventually being cancelled.  This is right up Dan's street as it would have been pretty much a real world Thunderbird.  A few hundred personell could be carried & operations could be conducted when stationary from it's wings.  It would have even carried a mini-sub piggyback.  Conversion was nearly complete on one example before it was cancelled.  Would look good in Emercom colours (basically as close as the real-world gets to 'International Rescue') with a big 7 on it's tail!

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Cobra

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Cobra

think a PV-1 Ventura would work for ASR Duty? Saw the 1/48 model at my Local Hobby Shop.Dan

Weaver

I like the idea of a CH-53 too, especially with the MH-53's giant fuel sponsons....... :mellow:

The ekranoplan would be great for the actual rescue, particulary if large numbers of people were involved, such as a cruise liner in trouble, for example. I don't think it's search capability would be good though, due to it's low operating altitude. I think it would still need a fast high-flyer to do the actual search. The high-flyer could also provide a comms relay station in the days before satcom (this was one of the most important functions that Nimrods did in ASR).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: Cobra on February 24, 2012, 01:48:04 AM
think a PV-1 Ventura would work for ASR Duty? Saw the 1/48 model at my Local Hobby Shop.Dan

Why not?  Hudsons were essentially operated as ASR aircraft with a lifeboat carried in the bomb-bay.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Wooksta!

I still want to do a Canberra flying boat in RAF ASR colours.  The yellow one.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

martinbayer

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

scooter

Quote from: rickshaw on February 24, 2012, 05:21:02 AM
Quote from: Cobra on February 24, 2012, 01:48:04 AM

Why not?  Hudsons were essentially operated as ASR aircraft with a lifeboat carried in the bomb-bay.

As were B-17s, as SB-17s.  Academy did, if not still does, one in 72d scale
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Army of One

Quote from: Cobra on February 23, 2012, 09:44:10 PM
Ekranoplans,also known as WIGEs skim the Sea Surface, kinda like a Hovercraft. not sure Who offers a Model of an Ekranoplan or the Price. does that Help,Army of One? Dan
Many thanks.....I was aware sort of how they worked.....just wasn't sure on the sea handling characteristics once stopped at the rescue site if in stormy seas....whereas a helo can still to a certain effect pick up/winch casualties up.....the Revel option has been covered by someone else.....cheers....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Weaver

Once an Ekranoplan's stopped, it's basically a boat with outrigger floats, i.e. stable, but with some "interesting" movement modes. It's ability to withstand high seas would still be proportional to it's size. Structurally though, it's still nearer to an aeroplane than a ship, and I for one wouldn't relish the prospect of trying to maneuver one next to a possibly out-of-control ship in a heavy sea. A better MO would probably be to stand off a short distance and use RIBs to ferry people back and forth. If helos could get to the site, they could also ferry people straight from the ship to the Ekanoplan, which would use their fuel more efficently and get around their capacity limits.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

That could make for an interesting look - boat decks and davits along the sides of the fuselage, possibly (probably) with roller-doors or hatches to cover them in-flight. Or a nose/tail that folds up and boats stowed behind that?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<