What would be a Good ASR(Air Sea Rescue) Aircraft for a Dio?

Started by Cobra, February 22, 2012, 10:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

Quote from: Weaver on February 24, 2012, 09:50:23 AM
Once an Ekranoplan's stopped, it's basically a boat with outrigger floats, i.e. stable, but with some "interesting" movement modes. It's ability to withstand high seas would still be proportional to it's size. Structurally though, it's still nearer to an aeroplane than a ship, and I for one wouldn't relish the prospect of trying to maneuver one next to a possibly out-of-control ship in a heavy sea. A better MO would probably be to stand off a short distance and use RIBs to ferry people back and forth. If helos could get to the site, they could also ferry people straight from the ship to the Ekanoplan, which would use their fuel more efficently and get around their capacity limits.

H.....that's what I was looking for..... Many thanks for clearing it up.....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

lancer

Quote from: Army of One on February 23, 2012, 02:09:15 AM
Gotta be a Mi 24....!!!!two inboard pylons for fuel tanks then the others for droppable life saving stuff....inflatable rafts n such....leaving cabin free for the rescue crew.....change the doors from top/bottom opening to sliding.....winch above each side and some form of step I case of landing to pick up survivors...chin gun replaced with any array of optic/sensor fit you want.....even add a refuelling prob a-la MH53 style....oh yes.....can see that big old Monogram/Revell D version now done like that in a bright colour scheme.....!! H

YOu just love the Mi 24 for anything don't you Hank? But, I also agree totally with you.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Gondor

I dont think that an Ekranoplan could manage stormy seas to be able to get near to ships in distress.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Mossie

The Spasatel  was desined to take off & land in Sea State 5 and deploy boats in Sea Sate 6.  It's also designed to last out take on casualties during a storm & wait for relief in virtually any sea state.

Someone posted some pics of the Lun on here & it was more like a ship than an aircraft with multiple compartments & bulkheads.

The specs are impressive.  It can take up to 500 people, has a hospital.  It is fitted out for search, but from what I can gather it's main role would be ferrying equipment & people to & from the scene as a first response until larger vessels can attend.  It could manouver in heavy seas but it's main way of getting people too & from the wingcraft would be by inflatable boat (see the diagram in the link)
http://www.hs-ships.ru/e_pages.phtm?f=2&p=29

There was also a rescue variant of the A90 Orlyonok proposed.  A further proposal was to mount it piggyback on an An-225 to increase it's range significantly.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Joe C-P

Quote from: bearmatt on February 22, 2012, 11:10:54 PM
I would go for an Osprey V-22...
Perfect combination of plane and helicopter  :wacko:

Yup, that's on my list, with Mexican Navy markings.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Army of One

Quote from: lancer on February 24, 2012, 02:39:41 PM
Gotta be a Mi 24....!!!!two inboard pylons for fuel tanks then the others for droppable life saving stuff....inflatable rafts n such....leaving cabin free for the rescue crew.....change the doors from top/bottom opening to sliding.....winch above each side and some form of step I case of landing to pick up survivors...chin gun replaced with any array of optic/sensor fit you want.....even add a refuelling prob a-la MH53 style....oh yes.....can see that big old Monogram/Revell D version now done like that in a bright colour scheme.....!! H

YOu just love the Mi 24 for anything don't you Hank? But, I also agree totally with you.

Guilty......!!! Yes I do......!!! I've even touched one.....and sat in the rear compartment.....when no one was looking.....it was an ex East German one that was at Duxford.....gotta have been 8 or so years ago....maybe more.......if I had £17k plus transport cost I'd have bought the ex Czech D one on eBay a while back....complete but no engines.....SWMBO'd would have gone mental.....but at least I could have slept in it in the back garden....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Army of One on February 24, 2012, 09:44:16 PM
.....but at least I could have slept in it in the back garden....

SWMBO would have probably FORCED you to sleep in it...........  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RussC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2012, 01:25:19 AM
.....but at least I could have slept in it in the back garden....

SWMBO would have probably FORCED you to sleep in it...........  ;D :lol:

Told him to move his HIND - end out there?  ;)

Thought - Could you convert a Mi-24 into a road-able Recreational vehicle, minus guns ?
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

pyro-manic

IIRC someone (possibly the Mujahideen/Taliban) did that with a Hip, so it's possible!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Rat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 24, 2012, 06:42:24 AM
I still want to do a Canberra flying boat in RAF ASR colours.  The yellow one.

Now that's right up my alley.  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

lancer

Quote from: lancer on February 24, 2012, 02:39:41 PM

Guilty......!!! Yes I do......!!! I've even touched one.....and sat in the rear compartment.....when no one was looking.....it was an ex East German one that was at Duxford.....gotta have been 8 or so years ago....maybe more.......if I had £17k plus transport cost I'd have bought the ex Czech D one on eBay a while back....complete but no engines.....SWMBO'd would have gone mental.....but at least I could have slept in it in the back garden....

Ditto!! But front and back cockpits of the Coventry museum one. Mr Hunter-Gatherer was also cockpit hopping at the same time....
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Army of One

Yes.....seen the pics of the Mi8 converted to a truck.....there was a model build for it....got the mag...
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Cobra

Guys,what does Converting an MI-24 into a Truck have to do with ASR? Don't mean to be Unreasonable,but We're Talk ASR,not Roadables. think a Lear Jet would work for ASR? i was Tempted to buy one,but Wasn't Sure. FYI,it's a Testors Lear Jet. thanks for looking. Dan

PR19_Kit

Dan, thread drift is almost a tradition in these parts.....  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tc2324

Ahhh... Drift. Brings back many happy memories seeing this type of thing on many many other forums. It`s the one constant in this crazy world wide web affair. ;D

Anyways, being as I`m into Rotordynes at the mo, (ordered my 2nd one yesterday.. :blink: :rolleyes:), how about fitting one with a hull similar to the Seaking. Large aircraft, fast and able to hover perfectly.  :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!