Primer for airbrushing?

Started by PR19_Kit, February 23, 2012, 08:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Since the dawn of time, well since they announced the stuff anyway, I've always used Halfords rattle can grey primer and it's played a blinder for me, only one duff can since I started using it.

But as I'm about to dive into the depths of airbrushing and can't use the Halfords primer what is the primer that most people use for airbrushing?

I've read the stuff mentioned in the airbrush books about 'decanting' spray paint into a jar and using that but it seems a) complicated and b) VERY potentially messy!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Buddy of mine decants Tamiya rattle cans for airbrushing, and isn't any more messier or complicated than mixing paints.  One thing to do keep in mind is exhausting the overspray and fumes, which you should be doing when airbrushing anyway.  As for primer, I usually use a flat gray or white as primer, usually Tamiya acrylics or MM enamels.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

The Wooksta!

Nonsense!  Primer is primer.  I prime everything in Halfords and airbrush with Xtracrylix.  Works fine for me.

Who said you can't use Halfords primer?  Utter rot!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 23, 2012, 08:36:32 AM
Nonsense!  Primer is primer.  I prime everything in Halfords and airbrush with Xtracrylix.  Works fine for me.

Who said you can't use Halfords primer?  Utter rot!

I didn't say I can't, I assumed that people didn't use Halfords rattle cans and then spray the colour with an airbrush. If that's a normal procedure I'll continue in that fashion.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

I agree with Lee (The Wooksta) that there is nothing wrong with Halfords Plastic Primers. More important, I think anyway, is what colour to use. At the moment I am working on a model that is getting portions of it painted with Humbrol Flourescent Orange which requires a white base coat. Yes, it is Halfords White Plastic Primer I am using. The primer is working perfectly, but the Dayglo Orange is not doing so well :banghead:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Hobbes

In my experience, Humbrol/Revell enamels rarely need a primer when used on plastic. On a resin model, I've used Humbrol 1 primer with good results.

Acrylics I don't know.

PR19_Kit

I'd agree that most good quality enamels don't need a primer, but I always prime my models anyway, just to ensure I've done the PSR well enough. With most of my Whiffs they're so many different colours of plastic that I can't 'see' the discontinuities, thus the primer.

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

OK, I see now. For that purpose, I just pick whatever shade of gray Humbrol I have handy... ;D

kitnut617

Quote from: Hobbes on February 23, 2012, 12:35:16 PM
OK, I see now. For that purpose, I just pick whatever shade of gray Humbrol I have handy... ;D
That's pretty much what I do Harro
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 23, 2012, 11:16:32 AM
but I always prime my models anyway, just to ensure I've done the PSR well enough.

I remember seeing a guy who didn't used to prime his models & used a wide silver marker to check the PSR.  I've never been able to find anything other than fine markers in silver so I've never tried it, but it might help remove a step.

Quote from: Hobbes on February 23, 2012, 11:13:16 AM

In my experience, Humbrol/Revell enamels rarely need a primer when used on plastic. On a resin model, I've used Humbrol 1 primer with good results.

Acrylics I don't know.

With Humbrol paints I just used to give a quick wipe over with white spirit & found the paint would bond well.  When I changed over to acrylics I found that I really needed the primer, sometimes the paint didn't bind well, sometimes you need extra coats.  I sometimes paint smaller parts using acrylic without primer but I prefer to put a layer on.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

lancer

Halfords white plastic primer is the obly thing I used and you can airbrush over it fine. I've never had a single problem using it
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die