WHIF's found in Magazines/books

Started by Spey_Phantom, February 27, 2012, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Drifting off topic (as usual.....) the Harrier's visual cross-wind vane is there as it's VERY important that the pilot be pointing directly into the apparent wind when in vertical and transition modes. Otherwise the aircraft could get into serious roll instability issues. It's all explained very well in John Farley's book 'A View from the Hover'.

Going back to the topic, in the 30s they had the steam vents right at the fore end of the flight deck because they didn't have the wind direction instrumentation back then and it was a foolproof system for the deck crew, air crew and bridge staff to see if the ship was going the right way. I recall that when they fitted steam catapults to the Ark Royal IV they did away with the steam jet as the cats leaked like sieves anyway!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 28, 2012, 06:36:36 AM
It's a visual back-up say should the bridge get taken out (there's another point on the ship to do the steering so I've heard) or the electrcis go down. 

Yup military vessels at least had an alternative steering position and then there was always the abilty to jury rig some form of steering, even if it took half a dozen crewmen on the wheel and a chain of men reporting the course to steer as the steersmen couldn't see a thing from most of these alternative positions.

Don't know what they do nowadays - I mean they don't even have a proper wheel - but there must be a backup that rrelys on muscle rather then computers ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Caveman

There are still backup positions for ships to be steered from, known as tiller flats...

Ill take your guys word for it that it is there as a backup.
secretprojects forum migrant

kitnut617

The fellow who helped me with a lot of the Avro Atlantic info I used, told me that in Nevil Shute novel 'In The Wet', there is a description of a fictitious de Havilland Ceres which matches the Atlantic to a tee
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Hm, I have a well worn copy of 'In the Wet' at home, I must check that out.

There's a lot of very interesting aircraft in that book, all are whiffs except a DC3 or two, but I can't remember the dH Ceres.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

tigercat

I couldn't find  a picture o/l but while I was flicking through Model Boats magazine and came across a report  on Scale Modelworld  2011 of an East African Schnellboot equipped with paddles.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

They also  featured a schnellboot with an amphibious Me 163 mounted on it

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

scooter

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on March 13, 2012, 02:39:44 AM
From the January 1973 issue of FLYING, a 5-engined Cessna 172!!!

http://books.google.fr/books?id=NWzlTqj0gQ4C&pg=PA106#v=onepage&q&f=false

I always would look forward to Bax's monthly wit and wisdom in Flying when my father had the subscription.  He always made me want to get my license.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

CANSO

This is a beautiful add I found in our office. The brand is Kohler - a renowned faucets manufacturer. The theme is a la "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow ":

I like the pilot... ;D

Stargazer

I sure would love me some flying lessons with that instructor...  ;D

But hey? Did she realize that if she uses that side machine gun she also loses her right arm?!?  :o  :rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

What IS she doing with that tap???

Regards
Kit