WHIF's found in Magazines/books

Started by Spey_Phantom, February 27, 2012, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: scooter on October 05, 2017, 01:47:49 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on October 04, 2017, 05:42:01 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 04, 2017, 05:48:41 AM
really nice USAF English Electric Lightning in Vietnam style camouflage and US weapons. Could almost be tempted to do something similar  ;)

Well in my very latest Air-Britain AeroMilitaria (arrived a couple of days ago), there's a colour photo of an F-102 in the same scheme

Like this?

Yep!, although it's a photo of one somewhere in the UK (I think) at an airshow and the one in the photo I have shows really worn out paint on the center fuselage, looks almost grey
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Caveman

Just received my copy of aeroplane through the post and it had an advert for the scale model world 2017, which featured this absolute stunner.

secretprojects forum migrant

PR19_Kit

That was last year's Senior Champion model. I mentioned else where that everyone says it's amazing and yet fail to mention that it's a Whiff. The same builder has won the top spot three years on the trot with his Whiffs now............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Whif or SciFi? :unsure: The line'd be pretty blurry around this build.

(Unless you're me, & SciFi & What If...? are two branches of the same genre.)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

cafe

Quote from: ericr on April 06, 2016, 03:58:39 PM

ah, Yoko Tsuno  :wub:  ;D

So many planes in the Yoko Tsuno comics! Apart from the Colibri my favorites are the stratospheric recce plane with its parasite glider from "Message pour l'éternité", the glider being able to do jet-assisted take offs, and the hovercraft-lanched typhoon-busting attack planes from "La fille du vent". Also from"Message pour l'éternité": an antique H.P. 42 or 45 named "Horus" doing a jet-assisted take off from an afghan crater.

Dizzyfugu

Agree. I am just reading though the comics these days and came across that twin-engine U-2 derivative (in Swiss ciolors, BTW). And I am keen on creating something along the lines of the Colibri.

cafe

The current issue of french magazine Aérojournal (april/may 2018) has a what-if article about the use of the P-47N by the French Air Force in East Asia. It starts with the P-47N-5s used against Japan in october 1945 (a french flight attached to 318th FG) or over Korea against the Soviet Union in november/december 1945. The first atomic bomb is dropped over Hiroshima on december 7 and the second one on Kokura 5 days later. They end WWII and lead to the soviets and North Koreans to withdraw to the 38th parallel. In march the 20th Escadre de Chasse is established at Than Son Nhut and takes part in the Indochina war that doesn't end as badly for France even if the North (Tonkin + Annam) does achieve autonomy in 1950 before full independance 4 years later when Cochinchina holds a referendom to decide its fate. Meanwhile the 20th EC flies P-47N-20 from Hanoi to protect the autonomous north from chinese intrusions (5 chinese Mustangs are shot down in 1951). After 1954, the Jugs are used in the Algerian war. The only french P-47 ace is back in Vietnam in 1969 to coordinate the delivery of the 50 Mirage 5J, originally built for Israel and embargoed the previous year, to a unified Vietnam.

The articles opens with a nice painting of a P-47N of the french flight of 318th FG shooting down a Ki-61 of 18th Sentai. It's illusted with 5 profiles: 3 P-47N (1945, 1946, 1951), one Ki-61 (1945) and 1 chinese P-51D (1951).

IRL France never used the P-47N, only the D.

A few moths ago Aérojournal's sister publication LOS! (about naval warfare) had a 2 or 3 part article about aeronaval operations when the Cold War went hot in the 1980ies (the Clem was sunk in the Med but its Crusaders shot down quite a few Backfire on their way home).

Another what if article from Aérojournal was about the Vichy armed forces taking advantage of operation Torch to rejoin the fight against Germany, getting help from the allies and starting the liberation of France.

scooter

Quote from: cafe on April 01, 2018, 02:00:20 PM
A few moths ago Aérojournal's sister publication LOS! (about naval warfare) had a 2 or 3 part article about aeronaval operations when the Cold War went hot in the 1980ies (the Clem was sunk in the Med but its Crusaders shot down quite a few Backfire on their way home).

Sounds like they borrowed that plot from Red Storm Rising, just replacing the Foch with Clem.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Tophe

Last month I bought for my son a child magazine: "Les trésors de Picsou" (Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge) #44, and I found this airplane, inventive it seems:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: Tophe on October 02, 2018, 01:39:04 AM
Last month I bought for my son a child magazine: "Les trésors de Picsou" (Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge) #44, and I found this airplane, inventive it seems:

So piston engines plus a rocket motor ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 02, 2018, 05:52:39 AM

Looks like it's being shot down
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on October 02, 2018, 06:12:33 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 02, 2018, 05:52:39 AM

Must admit I wasn't sure Scoot ???
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Quote from: scooter on October 02, 2018, 06:12:33 AM
I have read the story to confirm or deny, and it is rather mysterious. This is not war and there is no ground fire. But the plane in South America's high mountains had its belly hurting the top of a mountain, this is an accident. Why engines are in fire then ? Ahem, this seems to be "artistic" (dramatic) freedom... ;)

PR19_Kit

It must come from the same genre as most American movies, the ones where the car crashes and INSTANTLY bursts into flames or explodes violently.

You wouldn't catch me travelling in of those, oh no!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Thanks for this explanation, very convincing. :thumbsup: