WHIF's found in Magazines/books

Started by Spey_Phantom, February 27, 2012, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 23, 2017, 08:49:22 AM
How about air droppable sleds and dog teams too?  ;D

Probably happened somewhere/sometime. I'm sure I've seen footage of dogs being parachuted. Probably would have been back in the 50/60's when there wouldn't have been the uproar there would be now, and I'm a dog lover. I'm sure my old Dobbie Sally would have loved it  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TsrJoe

Love the RCAF. B.29/KB.29 are there any further images in the booklet noted, certainly different :)
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 24, 2017, 06:57:34 AM
<...> I'm sure I've seen footage of dogs being parachuted. Probably would have been back in the 50/60's when there wouldn't have been the uproar there would be now <...>

Not sure about any uproar, but it's still being done regularly. :thumbsup: They've even got protective vests and doggy-sized goggles now.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

scooter

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on March 24, 2017, 02:30:55 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 24, 2017, 06:57:34 AM
<...> I'm sure I've seen footage of dogs being parachuted. Probably would have been back in the 50/60's when there wouldn't have been the uproar there would be now <...>

Not sure about any uproar, but it's still being done regularly. :thumbsup: They've even got protective vests and doggy-sized goggles now.

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

Thats got to be a huge amount of training to get the dog to wear that gear and then jump out of an aircraft!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Quote from: TsrJoe on March 24, 2017, 12:18:25 PM
Love the RCAF. B.29/KB.29 are there any further images in the booklet noted, certainly different :)

Nothing whiffy. This one was pretty much a whif at the time tho, an idea of what the Argus would look like in service.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: kerick on March 24, 2017, 07:34:02 PM
Thats got to be a huge amount of training to get the dog to wear that gear and then jump out of an aircraft!

I'm not sure.  Look at what some people dress their dogs up in everyday.  Plus wouldn't free falling be like the whole body equivalent of putting your head out of the car window?
I think once they'd tried it the difficulty would be stopping the dogs jumping out when they were not supposed to.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on March 24, 2017, 08:44:51 PM

I'm not sure.  Look at what some people dress their dogs up in everyday.  Plus wouldn't free falling be like the whole body equivalent of putting your head out of the car window?
I think once they'd tried it the difficulty would be stopping the dogs jumping out when they were not supposed to.

It's probably down to trust in the Handler, at least in part. And Military Crazy - that's not just for Hoomins anymore...  :lol:

I've seen photos of Squaddies on patrol with a 'holstered' dog in a carry harness on one's back... first generation smart ordnance, maybe?

And you ever notice that the same Dog that gets annoyed when you blow in their face, will stick it's head out of a vehicle window if given even a fraction of a chance?  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 25, 2017, 12:03:08 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 24, 2017, 08:44:51 PM

It's probably down to trust in the Handler, at least in part. And Military Crazy - that's not just for Hoomins anymore...  :lol:

I've seen photos of Squaddies on patrol with a 'holstered' dog in a carry harness on one's back... first generation smart ordnance, maybe?

And you ever notice that the same Dog that gets annoyed when you blow in their face, will stick it's head out of a vehicle window if given even a fraction of a chance?  ;D

I know my old Doberman would probably have loved it given her behaviour when we had the top down in the Spitfire  ;)

As for Doggie smart ordnance. The Soviet's tried it and there is footage of what was probably training. The problem was that some of the dogs returned to their owners complete with ordnance  :o

Cheers for the pics and info lades
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 24, 2017, 07:44:09 PM
Quote from: TsrJoe on March 24, 2017, 12:18:25 PM

Nothing whiffy. This one was pretty much a whif at the time tho, an idea of what the Argus would look like in service.

Thanks Todd --- your pic reminded me I should really get going on the two 1/72 scale Argus I have
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

I want to see the pages covering "Untypical Metal Repairs"  ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 25, 2017, 06:06:42 AM

They're the ones that use Duct Tape and chewing gum............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 25, 2017, 08:32:13 AM

Hey, if it can't be fixed with Duct Tape and Gum, it's too broken to repair and needs replacing!

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 25, 2017, 08:32:13 AM

I have heard of RAF airframe fitters being taught to repair control linkages with wooden dowel and five minute epoxy  :unsure:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

lol I'm sure there have been many untypical cases !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?