Fairey Bybon HC(A).4

Started by tc2324, February 28, 2012, 03:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo1965

Good work, and very nice kit. :thumbsup: :bow:

tc2324

Last photo from me on this one now before I post the `reveal` shots as I don`t want to spoil the surprise. You wil have to forgive the quality of the photo as it was taken very early this morning and needed the flash.

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

That rotor head on the Revell kit is SO much better than the Airfix offering! A pity that they won't swap, the Revell bits look under-szied on the larger scale kit sadly.

It looks good in that scheme, looking forward to the finished article.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tc2324

Cheers Kit.  ;D

By the way, can you post a picture of the tail design for the militery version. I`m thinking of getting rid of the central vertical stabalizer and wondered what an alternative could be?

Tiger, Tiger!

Mossie

Here you go, scroll down to the second post by joncarrfarrelly.  This is the early design for the improved Rotodyne with Tyne engines which eventually became the larger Fairey Type Z/Westland FA.1.  His first post (& one of mine earlier) shows the Type Z, a larger development of the protoype.  It wouldn't be easy to create this from a kit, but the early version could be done, it's essentially increasing the wingspan, slight increase in length, increase in rotor diameter and addition of Tyne engines (rob them from a C-160 kit).  There's an increase in the internal dimensions but it's not much & you could get away without it.  Other changes would be addition of silencers to the tip jets.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20519.30.html

The alternative to the central fin was two fins inboard of the main ones, seen in Jon's second post.  The outer tails would have been made vertical, as it was found there was no need for the translating mechanism, or the 600 outward cant (both of which were originally done to prevent the rotor striking the tail).  Another way to do it might be to boraden the outer tails.

Worth reading that whole thread, it might be little fragmented, but a lot of the details of the development form the prototype Type Y to the production Type Z are there.  If you're interested in the Rotodyne, get hold of David Giibings book, it includes a lot of diagrams and piccies of both the prototype & Type Z mock up:

Paperback: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fairey+rotodyne
Kindle download: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairey-Rotodyne-ebook/dp/B0076M4SYE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330952511&sr=8-3

From finding the book on Amazon, if you wanted any more of the Revell kit they're availble for £6.99.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

More info, Secret Projects thread, including a series of videos from a History Channel documentary:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1084.0.html

Original Rotodyne promotional video from the Fairey Film Unit, including period music and accents!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Z1UnRZDyo
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

tc2324

Thank you very much Mossie.  :cheers:

A very helpful thread with lots to think about.

Not sure I like the double verticals so may don the thinking hat and come up with something else.

Tiger, Tiger!

Mossie

tc2324

Now I know I said that the next update would be the reveal, however as with all things, life has got in the way. So here`s where I`m at with plenty more to do.

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

That's awesome! And one SERIOUS looking IFR probe too!  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Is that actually a toilet installation I see in the instructions? :blink:

If so, that's awesome! ;D

Neat idea, tigercat! You could also look at a prototype pusher-engine version, too. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 10, 2012, 06:16:23 PM
Is that actually a toilet installation I see in the instructions? :blink:

It certainly is, the Revell kit comes with a complete interior fit. I have no idea how they did it for the price, superb value for money, just  a pity they DIDN'T do it in 1/72 exactly.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Totally Chinook! Very nice indeed, still makes me want to build a purely fixed-wing version.  ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter