Hampden Night Intruder

Started by tigercat, February 29, 2012, 03:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

Looking at the Hampden it is probably the most  visually similar to the Do 17 & 217 range of aircraft. The Dorniers filled  a lot more roles than just bomber and were developed up to the Z series in the case of the Do17

Now a similar silhouette doesn't gurantee the same development potential but what if someone had at least tried

Presumably the Allies had  a lot more suitable aircraft so didn't see the need to upgrade the Hampden too much however how would she have fared with Hercules or even Twin Wasps and instead of a plexiglass nose one packed with 6 or even 8 machine guns  or underwing gunpods . plus with uprated engines could a  turret be squeezed in and maybe a remote gun position in the tail.

The reduced need to haul around  a load of bombs would free up a lot of weight. Give her some RP's under the wings if she needed to pack some punch

NARSES2

Had similar thoughts about a solid nose Hampden in the past myself, never got around to it though
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

I proposed something similar over in the Hampden thread: 8 x .303s in the nose, small bomblets (adapted mortar bombs) in the bay and 4 x .303s in a fixed, downwards-angled ventral mount where the ventral gun position is. RPs under the wings.  My idea was that it's a "flak-basher": it follows the Lancs, identifies flak sites by their muzzle flash or searchlight sites by their beam, then strafes/rockets/bombs them into silence. A burst from the ventral .303s as it passes over suppresses any return-fire.

Don't know how well it would actually work (especially without a navigator), but it sounds promising enough to be at least trialled.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Caveman

Quote from: Weaver on March 01, 2012, 05:33:55 AM
Don't know how well it would actually work (especially without a navigator), but it sounds promising enough to be at least trialled.....

Dont let that stop you!
secretprojects forum migrant

buzzbomb

There was a neat Solid nose Hampden done in the Airfix Forum on Hyperscale
http://www.network54.com/Forum/578046/message/1327368827/Handley+Page+Hawthorn...

Come up a treat

sequoiaranger

Here's a scale-o-rama-ed "solid-nosed Hampden" I did. The Hampden fuselage (FROG 1/100) is mated to 1/72 Mossie wings. Note twin 40mm nose guns, over-and-under, for bomber destroying!

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

tigercat

sequoiaranger

[tigercat]>very nice , nice camouflage<

Thanks. It's a home-grown, summer "Alpine" camo for Lichtenstein!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 01, 2012, 12:38:57 AM
Had similar thoughts about a solid nose Hampden in the past myself, never got around to it though

Me too, as a night fighter for the same reasons as Weaver.  Even bought a Hampden but liked it so much I decided not to whif it.  In the pending pile at the moment.

That Hawthorn buzzbomb mentions is also at http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2800.

Love sequoiaranger's build - dunno about Swiss though, something definitely Soviet about it to me.  A Pe-2 relative, perhaps?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: kitbasher on March 03, 2012, 07:46:56 AM
In the bending pile at the moment.

Don't worry Chris, you can get ointment for them (typo corrected!)
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter