Seeking ideas for a USS Arizona WHIF.

Started by seadude, March 04, 2012, 09:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

I picked up a 1/350 HobbyBoss USS Arizona battleship kit yesterday. I'm undecided on what to do with it.
Either:
1. Build as is straight from the box.
2. Build as if the Arizona had survived Pearl Harbor and was refitted similar to the Pennsylvania.
3. Build as a new class of battleship with some slight changes to make it different from the Pennsylvania and maybe call it the USS Hawaii?
4. Other option?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

A 1/350 scale battleship?  :o

I should think you could move in and live in it, couldn't you?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dragon

Space Battleship Arizona- give the Arizona the Space Cruiser Yamato treatment.
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Cliffy B

Option 2 for me as well.  You could take it a step further and make her refit more extensive.  Remember Pennsylvania was practically undamaged at Pearl so her refits were less extensive.  You could have Arizona take more damage and refit her more along the lines of Nevada and perhaps incorporating some of the mods made to the Tennessees and Colorados.  I'm fairly familiar with these ships so if have any detail questions I'd be happy to help.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

pyro-manic

Hawaii wasn't a state until 1959, so a battleship would not have been given that name.

What about going the other way, and building a pre-dreadnought? Midship turrets (offset to each side), secondary 8" battery, and so on. Could even paint it in the Great White Fleet scheme, with buff stacks and all the gold decoration...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Daryl J.

As costly as that kit is, the first thing I'd do is make certain I could bring it successfully to completion.     :blink:
4) Upgrade it to serve along with the Missouri in the later Asian conflicts. 

sandiego89

How about some more radical #4 sugestions?

1.  Raised and rebuilt with a new forward section.  Single triple 16 inch mount forward.  Give it a Graf Spee type look. 
2. Raised and rebuilt in the late 1950's with a new forward section as a guided missile ship- Talos forward. 12" aft. 
3. Sea plane ship with multiple catapults and cranes, like the Ise
4. AA heavy circa 1945.  Multiple 40's and 5 inch. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Cliffy B

I almost forgot, you said you have the Banner kit right?  That thing almost qualifies as a whiff straight out of the box it has so many flaws.  It's been discussed at length over on the model warships board so if you care to know the flaws I'll send you a link or two so you can read up on them.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

scooter

I like Dragon's suggestion, personally.  SBB Yamato and Arizona, serving alongside in the UN Spacy.  :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

RussC

Space battleship is great. How about a Hybrid battleship Carrier convert like the Furious or the Ise. Maybe a ColdWar convert of the BB39 hull as a ballistic missile ship with Thor/Jupiter IRBM fitting. Maybe a Amphibious depot ship for hovercrafts and hydrofoils and Sea Darts. In later versions, remove the smoke stacks as BB-39 would be running on reactors. How about a gunnery test bed ship, a single barbette with twin 30" guns, aimed by position like the assault gun type tanks. How about a captured Arizona, refitted to the standards of either the Kreigsmarine or the IJN or the Soviet navy?
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Mossie

Option 4a, survived Pearl Harbour and never retired.  Modernise the superstucture, replace the turrets with VLS.  Deck her out for her 100th anniversary celebrations! :drink:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

scooter

Quote from: Mossie on March 08, 2012, 06:17:29 AM
Option 4a, survived Pearl Harbour and never retired.  Modernise the superstucture, replace the turrets with VLS.  Deck her out for her 100th anniversary celebrations! :drink:

I would say convert the superfiring mounts (B & X) to VLS, and go triple 16s on the remaining batteries.  Remove the aft mast and fit additional TLAM/Harpoon launch canisters on the superstructure, aft of the stack.  Of if you're going to nuke power her, helo pad on the aft superstructure, and another at the fantail.  With, of course, CIWS batteries in excellent firing arcs.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Joe C-P

Triple 16" would never fit in the same space as the older triple 14". Twin 16" could.

How about an AA-barge? Remove the B and X turrets, and the old 5"/25 guns, and add a number of 5"/38 twins and singles. Use her for radar-picket duty in place of the DDs that kept getting clobbered by suicide attacks.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Radish

I made my HobbyBoss 1/700th Arizona as a Flying Battleship circe 1943, combining the kit with a trange angulat base and a plastic plate.
Photos on here somewhere....
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen