This #%&ing Matchbox plastic!!!

Started by The Rat, March 04, 2012, 08:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Trying to work on the Matchbox HS125. It's like VINYL! I carefully washed the whole thing with dish detergent, dried it off, washed my hands frequently while working with it, and it STILL feels oily! It's almost like the mold release agent soaked into the plastic and is gradually oozing out. I know it's probably just the plastic, not oil, but it just feels YECH!

Sorry, just had to vent.  :banghead:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Let it all out Ratty, does you good.

I don't have that memory with Matchbox but there are some kits I've built that have had exactly the "quality" you describe  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RussC

Some of the Minicraft seem to be made of that. I used to give the big surfaces a going over with 600 grit and then buffing with newsprint.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

RotorheadTX

One of the later far-eastern pressings??
Ask me how I know.....  :banghead:

The Rat

Quote from: RotorheadTX on March 05, 2012, 04:39:45 AM
One of the later far-eastern pressings??
Ask me how I know.....  :banghead:

Nope, original box, fuselage is stamped © 1974
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

scooter

Sounds like Monogram's 1/48 F-106.  :banghead:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

sequoiaranger

Rat--you might try primer-painting it RIGHT NOW before proceeding. If indeed there is something oozing out of the plastic that would ruin the finish, you don't want to find that out AFTER a lot of construction work. If it is an illusion, the primer won't do any harm and you will FEEL better about the whole thing!!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

The Rat

Quote from: sequoiaranger on March 05, 2012, 08:47:03 AM
Rat--you might try primer-painting it RIGHT NOW before proceeding. If indeed there is something oozing out of the plastic that would ruin the finish, you don't want to find that out AFTER a lot of construction work. If it is an illusion, the primer won't do any harm and you will FEEL better about the whole thing!!

I was thinking of that, but since I didn't detail the rather spartan flight deck, and there is no other interior detail, I'll get the hull together and the wings on before giving it a good spray of Tamiya fine white primer.

Mossie

Try giving it a good wipe down with white spirit/mineral spirits or similar, should help bring out any plasticisers that are leaching.

The plasticiser is the compund that gives plastic it flexibility.  Over time (depending on the plastic & plasticiser) they can leach out, the plastic will start by feeling oily then eventually become brittle when most of it has come out.  It's something we had to test for in a previous job I had with medical applications, any leaching out could be potentially harmful as some plasticisers are nasty.  Modern plastics tend to be better, the materials have improved & the rate of evaporation is siginficantly lower.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Rat

Quote from: Mossie on March 08, 2012, 02:47:42 AMTry giving it a good wipe down with white spirit/mineral spirits or similar, should help bring out any plasticisers that are leaching.

Would rubbing alcohol do the job?

Nick

Quote from: The Rat on March 08, 2012, 04:33:21 AM
Quote from: Mossie on March 08, 2012, 02:47:42 AMTry giving it a good wipe down with white spirit/mineral spirits or similar, should help bring out any plasticisers that are leaching.

I'd say that drinking alcohol would be better!

The Rat

Quote from: Nick on March 08, 2012, 04:41:14 AM
Quote from: The Rat on March 08, 2012, 04:33:21 AM

I'd say that drinking alcohol would be better!

At this stage, yeah!  :cheers: :drink:

Mossie

Possibly.  Any solvents you use for modelling or decorating should have some effect at least, meths, rubbing alcohol, turps, that home brew that nobody dare go near after the first time... :party: Celluose/laquer thinners would probably be the most effective, but go careful as some can attack the plastic.  I mentioned white spirit because it's one of the more potent ones you can use that doesn't have the potential to damage the plastic.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.