RAAF Serials - help needed

Started by NARSES2, March 07, 2012, 07:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

I need a little help with one of my Aussierama builds. I'm looking for a serial number to use - the A?? number. Now I thought this would have been issued sequentialy but looking at various sites it dosn't appear so. For instance Mitchell's are serialed A-47 - *** and were taken on charge in 1944 whilst P-39's are serialed A-53 - *** and were taken on charge in 1942. Details from the ADF-serails.com. There are other examples of this. Now I suppose this may be because the Mitchells were ordered earlier then the P-39's were taken on charge but does anyone know ?

I want an aircraft delivered in 1944 and in use during 1945. I'm thinking of using A68 (actually the Mustang) or A69 (the Helldiver).

Any information gratefully received.

The site by the way is fascinating http://www.adf-serials.com/
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Interesting piccie of the Valiant on the 'Other Australian Military Aircraft' section. It's got a Skippy in the middle of the fuselage roundel!  :o ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

raafif

The RAAF had three lots of serials -- all beginning with A1 ..... Sets begin in 1921 (A1 to A12) -- 1935 (A1 to A100) -- 1961 onwards (A1 to A21).  They appear to be a bit random in allocation not sequential in ordering, receipt or service.

The Bristol Bulldog II biplane fighter was still in service when the new set started in 1935 & they retained the A12 serials with newer types filling in the earlier serials.

RAN aircraft seem to be allocated in sequential order - N1 to N13.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 07, 2012, 10:54:55 AM
Interesting piccie of the Valiant on the 'Other Australian Military Aircraft' section. It's got a Skippy in the middle of the fuselage roundel!  :o ;D

The old saying about "idle hands" and who finds work for them, springs to mind, Kit.  ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

rickshaw

Quote from: raafif on March 07, 2012, 02:34:18 PM
The RAAF had three lots of serials -- all beginning with A1 ..... Sets begin in 1921 (A1 to A12) -- 1935 (A1 to A100) -- 1961 onwards (A1 to A21).  They appear to be a bit random in allocation not sequential in ordering, receipt or service.

The Bristol Bulldog II biplane fighter was still in service when the new set started in 1935 & they retained the A12 serials with newer types filling in the earlier serials.

RAN aircraft seem to be allocated in sequential order - N1 to N13.

They appear non-sequential but actually are.  They are allocated when an aircraft either comes on charge or is ordered.   So, in the case of the P-39, the first one was received on charge after the first Mitchell was.

I'd choose one of the more obscure numbers, Chris.   Perhaps A-64, which wasn't used.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on March 07, 2012, 06:01:13 PM

They appear non-sequential but actually are.  They are allocated when an aircraft either comes on charge or is ordered.   So, in the case of the P-39, the first one was received on charge after the first Mitchell was.

I'd choose one of the more obscure numbers, Chris.   Perhaps A-64, which wasn't used.

Am I missing something ? Mitchell's were taken on charge in 1944 and as ex Dutch machines presumably wern't ordered by the RAAF, P-39's taken on charge in 1942 as far as I can tell from the website ?

Anyway A-64 is a good suggestion as I have a fair few Boomerang serials which are A-46, so just need to switch the 4 & 6  ;D Also the type could be seen as a Boomerang replacement  :thumbsup:

Thanks all

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Actually, the first B-25s were taken on charge in 1942, on behalf of the NEI Government.  However, they were issued to No 18 (Netherlands East Indies) Squadron and not the RAAF officially, so while they received a RAAF serial they didn't actually get taken on charge by the RAAF until 1944 when No 18 (NEI) Squadron was to be re-equipped with B-24 Liberators (but never was, remaining in B-25s until after war's end) and their Mitchells start to appear in RAAF records directly.  All rather convoluted but once the sequence gets understood, perfectly sensible.  By 1945 over 150 Mitchells were received by the RAAF.   The P-39s OTOH, were taken directly on charge by the RAAF from USAAF stocks on 15 Jul'42.   The RAAF Museum's website has a good potted history of the various serials and the aircraft they were attached to at http://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseum/research/series2.htm.

NARSES2