RAF Connie....................nearly done

Started by Dork the kit slayer, March 08, 2012, 08:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I am nice to old people, I used to be a boy scout. Just because I've an idea to fit my Connie with four jet engines from either a Nimrod or Victor. The four Griffon engines came from another Whiffer and the idea for adding four Dart engines or T-56s is a real world what-if.

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: McColm on March 15, 2012, 03:00:50 AM
I am nice to old people, I used to be a boy scout. Just because I've an idea to fit my Connie with four jet engines from either a Nimrod or Victor. The four Griffon engines came from another Whiffer and the idea for adding four Dart engines or T-56s is a real world what-if.

mmm well thats no excuse............boy scout indeed. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Dork the kit slayer

Here you go Trev. This is a shot with tip tanks, a fit that the jury is still out on :banghead:

:cheers:

McColm

I was wondering if you could fit a searchlight to one of the tip tanks for your next build.

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: McColm on March 15, 2012, 10:20:44 AM
I was wondering if you could fit a searchlight to one of the tip tanks for your next build.

I could but Im building an A-7E next  :wacko: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.  I know what you mean and it wouldnt be hard to do using either the Connie tanks or another larger type.  Go for it :thumbsup:

NARSES2

In all honesty I like her without the tanks. Looks more unusual and more British somehow. after all we didn't need extra fuel tanks we had the "Empire" to stop off and refuel in  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 16, 2012, 08:45:05 AM
In all honesty I like her without the tanks. Looks more unusual and more British somehow. after all we didn't need extra fuel tanks we had the "Empire" to stop off and refuel in  :rolleyes:

Im with you our kid................the tanks are gone.   It does "look" more British.

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, yes tips tanks are SO 'American' aren't they? No self respecting British aircraft would use them.....

Apart from a Venom perhaps.....  ;)

[Other aircraft types with tip tanks are available...]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 16, 2012, 08:45:05 AM

Didn't BOAC operate Super-Connies with tip-tanks?  I know QANTAS did and I do believe we were still part of that great Empire (or so London believed, anyway ;) ).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dork the kit slayer

Tip tanks are the aviation equivalent of knees...not something that a true Britain would show orf to Jonny foreigner.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on March 17, 2012, 02:43:09 AM
Didn't BOAC operate Super-Connies with tip-tanks?  I know QANTAS did and I do believe we were still part of that great Empire (or so London believed, anyway ;) ).

The BOAC Super Connies, and I think there were only a couple of them, were leased from Seaboard Western but they didn't come with tip tanks. Or at least I've never seen a photo of them like that, which isn't actually proof of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on March 17, 2012, 06:28:48 AM
Tip tanks are the aviation equivalent of knees...not something that a true Britain would show orf to Jonny foreigner.

Well said sir !  :thumbsup: :bow:

Nah you were a Dominion by then, still useful though  :rolleyes: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 18, 2012, 02:18:28 AM

Nah you were a Dominion by then, still useful though  :rolleyes: ;D

Mr. Churchill seemed to think otherwise, upon several occasions, Chris.   :banghead:

rickshaw

Who invented the Bombay Bloomers then?   :o

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: rickshaw on March 18, 2012, 04:47:10 AM

Who invented the Bombay Bloomers then?   :o

I think it was Mitchell (on a bad day). If I remember there were only eight built and they served in quiet obscurity with second line transport units. 

Im not sure ,but I think Renwall made a "fit the box" scale kit in the late 50s' :party: