RAF Connie....................nearly done

Started by Dork the kit slayer, March 08, 2012, 08:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The Avro Shackleton MKIII had tip tanks and was built by the British, flown by the RAF in Scotland (where they show their knees!!) and Cornwall where they don't.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on March 18, 2012, 04:46:26 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 18, 2012, 02:18:28 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on March 17, 2012, 02:43:09 AM
Didn't BOAC operate Super-Connies with tip-tanks?  I know QANTAS did and I do believe we were still part of that great Empire (or so London believed, anyway ;) ).

Nah you were a Dominion by then, still useful though  :rolleyes: ;D

Mr. Churchill seemed to think otherwise, upon several occasions, Chris.   :banghead:

Yea, well dear old Winnie never ever did get around to the idea that the Empire had well and truely waned by the time he became a peace time PM.

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on March 18, 2012, 12:14:09 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on March 18, 2012, 04:47:10 AM
Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on March 17, 2012, 06:28:48 AM
Tip tanks are the aviation equivalent of knees...not something that a true Britain would show orf to Jonny foreigner.

Who invented the Bombay Bloomers then?   :o

I think it was Mitchell (on a bad day). If I remember there were only eight built and they served in quiet obscurity with second line transport units.

Im not sure ,but I think Renwall made a "fit the box" scale kit in the late 50s' :party:

I think one may have been used as a casualty evacuation aircraft after Arnhem - ah, no that was a Harrow. Similar though  :o ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: McColm on March 19, 2012, 12:35:46 AM
The Avro Shackleton MKIII had tip tanks and was built by the British, flown by the RAF in Scotland (where they show their knees!!) and Cornwall where they don't.

Rebellious Scots and kilt wearing ice cream makers.......................no wonder we lost the Empire, tip tanks on Shacks what ever next.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

McColm

The South African Air Force flew MK3 phase 2 Shacks with tip tanks up until 1984.

Dork the kit slayer

Rumours put about to discredit me by my enemies.....................blatantly photo-shopped by anti "Empire aviation" sixth columnists.

You will  be given time alone in the library with your revolver........................you will of course do the honourable thing.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

McColm

In the library with the gramophone playing a track from Revolver by The Beatles.

NARSES2

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on March 19, 2012, 03:17:06 PM
You will  be given time alone in the library with your revolver........................you will of course do the honourable thing.

One of the classic scenes from Michael Palin's "Ripping Yarns"  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"Why should the Empire tremble"

Dont know why I wrote that, just seemed appropriate somehow and I hate being left-out of long, lateral, rambling Dork/Narses threads - and I needed a break from the seemingly interminable packing.  :thumbsup:

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 19, 2012, 08:06:47 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on March 18, 2012, 04:46:26 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 18, 2012, 02:18:28 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on March 17, 2012, 02:43:09 AM
Didn't BOAC operate Super-Connies with tip-tanks?  I know QANTAS did and I do believe we were still part of that great Empire (or so London believed, anyway ;) ).

Nah you were a Dominion by then, still useful though  :rolleyes: ;D

Mr. Churchill seemed to think otherwise, upon several occasions, Chris.   :banghead:

Yea, well dear old Winnie never ever did get around to the idea that the Empire had well and truely waned by the time he became a peace time PM.

Well, he did it actually during the wartime.  He and Wavell seemed to think us chaps were colonial troops for some reason.  Both were told in no uncertain terms that it simply "wasn't on".  We'd put with more than enough of that rot during the last show and we'd learnt our lessons.   He hadn't.  :banghead:

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Aircav on March 21, 2012, 02:44:15 AM
The Jet Provost had tip-tanks too.  ;D

Some of them did, the uglier ones......  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on March 21, 2012, 04:55:10 AM
Well, he did it actually during the wartime.  He and Wavell seemed to think us chaps were colonial troops for some reason.  Both were told in no uncertain terms that it simply "wasn't on". 

Very true and yet strangely he had very advanced ideas about Pan European politics, what we now call the EU. He probably didn't like tip tanks either  ;D

McColm

The RAF flew Neptunes whilst they were waiting for the Shackleton to be built and they had tip tanks. The pre-production Br.1150 Atlantic also had tip tanks, but they got removed when production started. (I have a spare Revell kit, I might build that!!)

Geoff

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 21, 2012, 08:26:29 AM
Very true and yet strangely he had very advanced ideas about Pan European politics, what we now call the EU. He probably didn't like tip tanks either  ;D

So did Hitler.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on March 21, 2012, 11:19:36 AM
The RAF flew Neptunes whilst they were waiting for the Shackleton to be built and they had tip tanks.

Yes, but Neptunes are American...........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit