The Wooksta! - The Plan: Comments thread

Started by The Wooksta!, March 09, 2012, 03:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Thread for comments on my blog (see this thread: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.html)

Kept separate as I didn't want the blog clogged up with nonsense not of my own making.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

pyro-manic

Questions:

1: How many models will you end up with?
2: Where will you put them all?
3: Why don't you use external picture hosting? This whole project loses a lot of impact if nobody can see the results!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Martin H

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 09, 2012, 11:21:19 AM
Questions:

1: How many models will you end up with?
Knowing Lee, As many as it takes.

2: Where will you put them all?
Same place he store every thing else, his work room....And yes Im one of the few who have seen it.

3: Why don't you use external picture hosting? This whole project loses a lot of impact if nobody can see the results!
He has his reasons.

any way heres a pic taken on my Blackberry in Lees front room of some of the work in progess....and I mean only some. It was taken last year on one of my trips north.

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitbasher

Ambitious plan is probably an understatement,but the best of luck Lee and look forward to seeing how it develops - your own personal Themed Build!

Supermarine 224, the Spitfire, Seafire, Spiteful, Seafang and Attacker - no S.6b then?

;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on March 09, 2012, 12:16:02 PM
any way heres a pic taken on my Blackberry in Lees front room of some of the work in progess....and I mean only some. It was taken last year on one of my trips north.

Looks like the ramp at Castle Bromwich in mid-1942!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

As Dave says it's an ambitious plan but with your love of the aircraft one you can carry off  :thumbsup:

Like the idea of the blog and comments kept separate
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitbasher on March 09, 2012, 01:15:44 PM
Ambitious plan is probably an understatement,but the best of luck Lee and look forward to seeing how it develops - your own personal Themed Build!

Supermarine 224, the Spitfire, Seafire, Spiteful, Seafang and Attacker - no S.6b then?

;D ;D

I've an Airfix S6B in the stash somewhere - seen it recently but can't remember which box I put it in - but need some new wings for it, ideally Supermarine 224 ones. 

The old Frog one is supposedly much better, but the one I paid a quid for at Telford some years back only had one fuselage half!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Martin H on March 09, 2012, 12:16:02 PM
Anyway here's a pic taken on my Blackberry in Lee's front room of some of the work in progess....and I mean only some. It was taken last year on one of my trips north.

That table got an awful lot more full before I started spraying...  Most of those got finished, although several are still stalled - albeit in their colours.

It'll take as long or as short as I want it to take.  I'm still coming up with ideas. 

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Hobbes

Very impressive Lee.

With so many on the go at once, don't you lose track of which is which? There's got to be a fair few variants that are really close in external appearance.

The Wooksta!

Losing track...  Yes, it could be, hence the hard copy of The Plan.  Means I know what's done, what needs to be done, cast or bought. 

Some of it comes down to knowing which model is which kit.  A PRXI PRXIX is a PR machine*, be it Airfix, MPM or Fujimi but a fighter?  Not as easy.  Mods done to the airframe, either clipped wings or additional resin bits are the pointers.  I've three new tool Airfix mkIa's being converted to the FR role and it's going to be that which tells them apart, because they'll all be upgraded to a similar standard.

Some of it comes down to really niggly details - say I've got four F.IXcs, all in RAF camo without decals, which is which?  Check the filter, gun bulges & positions, even the overwing wheel bulges (not there, wartime, anything else post war).  Filter being the large Aerovee means it's late or overseas.  Gun blisters tells the type of wing or the date. 

You've *really* got to know your subject.  The same knowlege that means I can build whifs in the gaps means I can keep track.  Just.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

pyro-manic

Can I assume that someone else will be providing photos of this project at some point then? ;D

I like the sound of the six-gun Griffon machine as a Typhoon alternative - RPs or bombs? Fuel tanks too? Should look suitably mean. :thumbsup:

Regarding early Spitfires, I did an all-silver Hurricane a little while back in 1930s 1Sqn markings, and I've got a new Spit I to do in a similar scheme - depends what squadron bars I can find to put on it. Should look good. Are you doing anything similar?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Wooksta!

I did a Hasegawa mk I some years back in a similar scheme but it stalled and it's not a kit that's up to modern standards, so I'm unlikely to revisit it with a view to finishing it - the Dutch pre-war one is close to finishing but it's already going to be replaced with an Airfix one.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Mossie

QuoteOr should I have a go at the proposed six cannon version?  IIRC, they were mocked up but never actually built.  As the early Griffon was better at low altitudes - above 20,000 it was no better than the Merlin 61 of the Spitfire IX - and toting 6 20mm cannon, it would make a rather attractive alternative to the Typhoon.

A six cannon Mk.IV would be good, if only for people telling you it didn't/couldn'/wouldn't happen.  I think it would be good to add it to The Plan, DP845 in it's Mk.IV guise looks imposing which is enhanced by those six cannon.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's a pic:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 15, 2012, 04:55:13 AM
- the Dutch pre-war one is close to finishing but it's already going to be replaced with an Airfix one.

Done Dutch and Polish ones myself. Want to do a French one at some time (one was delivered)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

I've the markings for that in an AZ kit but the likelihood of me using them is zero.  They any use to you?

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: