The Wooksta! - The Plan: Comments thread

Started by The Wooksta!, March 09, 2012, 03:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 15, 2012, 09:04:18 AM
I've the markings for that in an AZ kit but the likelihood of me using them is zero.  They any use to you?

Yes please Lee - not sure when I'll see you next time but happily take them off your hands then
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Cool.  Think there's some markings for French Seafires too.  I'll sort the lot out for you as I know I'll never use them.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

rickshaw

I was interested to read lately that Estonia nearly go Mk.1s in 1939 but the war's outbreak prevented them being sold.  Would make an interested variation.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Wooksta!

Seen it done before, so it doesn't fit with my own. 
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on March 16, 2012, 07:21:47 AM
I was interested to read lately that Estonia nearly go Mk.1s in 1939 but the war's outbreak prevented them being sold.  Would make an interested variation.

Yup Estonia was the first overseas nation to enquire about Spitfires. The list of real world enquiries/possible sales for the Mk I as far as I know is Estonia, Yugoslavia, Belgian, France, Turkey, Switzerland, Greece and Portugal. Source Putnams Supermarine Aircraft
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

There's a whole lot more in Spitfire International.  The Dutch were asking about licence builds, which opens up other possibilities.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

A buddy of mine (and OGL's...) has just done a 1/48 model of the Mk IV DP845. I did the decals for him and it sure makes up to an awesome, and very different, Spitfire. There was only one of it of course, but I still think the production version, the Mk XII, was the best looking Mark.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 12, 2012, 05:04:30 AM

I've an Airfix S6B in the stash somewhere - seen it recently but can't remember which box I put it in - but need some new wings for it, ideally Supermarine 224 ones. 

The old Frog one is supposedly much better, but the one I paid a quid for at Telford some years back only had one fuselage half!

I've an Eastern Express version in the stash.  I think the Airfix version is a tad under scale, but haven't taken measurements to prove/disprove it.  All I can say is that having been to the Science Museum in the last couple of weeks I was reminded as to how muscular the S.6b actually is - a quality the Frog version seems to convey (well, at least in the box).  As with the Airfix and Frog DH.88s there's probably strengths and weaknesses to both.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on March 26, 2012, 11:39:27 AM
All I can say is that having been to the Science Museum in the last couple of weeks I was reminded as to how muscular the S.6b actually is

Always suprises me how big that is as well

Must admit Lee's enthusiasm has got me taking a couple of late mark Spitfires down from the shelves  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Remember that RW S6Bs have the port float longer than the starboard one, to counteract the awesome torque of the R Type engine and that monster 2 bladed prop. I'm not sure if either the Airfix or the Frog S6Bs have that correct.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Yo Wooksta!  Check out Hannants - 1/72 Xtrakit Spit 22 half price at the moment!  ;D

What's that Lee?  You reckon it's still twice what it's worth??  ;)

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 16, 2012, 04:29:11 PM
A buddy of mine (and OGL's...) has just done a 1/48 model of the Mk IV DP845. I did the decals for him and it sure makes up to an awesome, and very different, Spitfire. There was only one of it of course, but I still think the production version, the Mk XII, was the best looking Mark.

Laser or inkjet paper, Kit?
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Save your pennies for the Airfix one.  That's the only reason Hannants have kamikazeed the price on the Xtrakit one. At £6 I'd snap it up - BUT only IF I'd never built this horror.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 14, 2012, 01:52:48 PM
Save your pennies for the Airfix one. 

Worry not, I am!

That's the only reason Hannants have kamikazeed the price on the Xtrakit one.

I'd thought that myself.....

At £6 I'd snap it up - BUT only IF I'd never built this horror.

.....and I recalled your expressions of endless love for this kit!!
;D ;D

deathjester

Are you going to be doing the 'nearly supersonic Spit'?  You know, the one where they were dive testing it, and the prop + reduction gear was ripped off so the pilot glided the twenty miles back to base for a perfect 3-point landing!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: deathjester on April 14, 2012, 03:57:38 PM
Are you going to be doing the 'nearly supersonic Spit'?  You know, the one where they were dive testing it, and the prop + reduction gear was ripped off so the pilot glided the twenty miles back to base for a perfect 3-point landing!

That was a PRXI amazingly, but I guess it could have started from a LONG way up!

Regards
Kit