Nimrod at Cosford Museum

Started by Nick, March 13, 2012, 03:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

The RAF Mueum at Cosford have finally got a Nimrod R.1 to put on display. XV249 made the last Nimrod flight on 29 July 2011 when she flew from RAF Waddington to Kemble airfield in Gloucestershire to be stripped of sensitive equipment and made safe for preservation by Air Salvage International.
Apparently the runway at Cosford isn't long enough for the Nimrod to have landed there.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/nimrod-13032012
http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Nimrod-dismantled-Gloucestershire-airfield/story-13207006-detail/story.html

PR19_Kit

I saw XV249 on the ground at Kemble before they started stripping her down.

I ust didn't believe the business about the runway at Cosford being too short then, and I'm not too sure I believe it now either. After all they flew some pretty big stuff into there in earlier years, and the Nimrod has a very good short field performance coutesy of the ex-Comet monster wing and flaps. I suspect it's more likely that the runway has degraded some and wouldn't take the weight any more.

It's a pity I just missed it's arrival by a few days, Mrs PR19 and I were there only 2 weeks ago.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

markmarples

in 96 a nimrod did land at cosford i was there i saw it!

more like kemble had the contract to gut her and it was cheaper to do it there than cart all the stuff to cosford to do it
Regards

Mark

www.mainlymilitary.co.uk

PR19_Kit

I can't imagine how much it cost to move that airframe all the way from Kemble to Cosford. It's a long way and it's a BITCH of job to to get anything out of Kemble by road, they're all country lanes really. My office was only 2-3 miles away so I know them all.

Moving big stuff like that any distance is very expensive, as I know to my cost having forked out to move a railway coach from London to Coventry last year.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 13, 2012, 04:36:27 AM
Moving big stuff like that any distance is very expensive, as I know to my cost having forked out to move a railway coach from London to Coventry last year.  :banghead:

Some people have more money than sense  ;D

I wondered why Kemble as well. Didnt the Victor fly into RAF Stafford for the short(ish) road trip over to Cossi?
And the MH-53 in the coldwar hall was brought into Cosford by a C-17...................
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on March 13, 2012, 09:24:45 AM

Not any more they haven't............  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 13, 2012, 11:09:42 AM

Not any more they haven't............  :banghead:

wot?  The money or the sense?  lol
Unfortunately,

kitbasher

Didn't the Victor fly into RAF Stafford for the short(ish) road trip over to Cossi?

er....where's the runway at Stafford?  Notified helicopter landing site only.  Nearest runways to my knowledge are the old Boulton-Paul airfield at Seighford and the ex-RAF airfield at Hixon (which most recently used to be used by helicopters, Tac Supply Wg (or whatever they're called these days) and in the past Harriers).
You don't mean Shawbury do you?
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Martin H

Unfortunately,

kitbasher

Quote from: Martin H on March 13, 2012, 12:56:36 PM
could be  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Suggest you go back, edit your entry and then I'll delete mine - all in true North Korean stylee!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

lancer

Why not just send it by rail??? Or was that too obvious??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

Quote from: lancer on March 13, 2012, 04:09:17 PM

Why not just send it by rail??? Or was that too obvious??

a) It was a long way from the railway system at either end of the trip, and

b) It's in such a state that Network Rail wouldn't let it near a running line with a barge pole!

Give me time though.......  ;D

Regards
Kit

Nick

If it's the preservation place next door to the Midland Air Museum then you'll have to show us next time we meet there. I remember passing a backwards facing steam loco being carried on the back of a low loader on the M6 some years ago.
Was watching the Tube series on BBC last week and they showed the new tube trains being delivered behind a diesel loco, all the way from Bombardier Derby!

Martin H

Quote from: kitbasher on March 13, 2012, 02:16:52 PM
Quote from: Martin H on March 13, 2012, 12:56:36 PM
could be  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Suggest you go back, edit your entry and then I'll delete mine - all in true North Korean stylee!
No need Dave, proves im only human, just like the rest of you lol
Unfortunately,