What's the rarest/most valuable model you own?

Started by pwagner, March 13, 2012, 04:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwagner

What's the rarest/most valuable model you own?
Will you ever build it?
Would you ever sell it?

I'm thinking about this because I have three that I consider uber-rare, on the basis that I've never seen another one (and I do a lot of ebay trawling!). All happen to be sci-fi stuff.

These are them. First, the Entex Phoenix from Battle of the Planets:

http://www.battleoftheplanets.net/usmodels.html

Being styrene these must've been churned out in the thousands, and yet the one I've got is the only one I've ever come across - and it's partially started and not pristine.

I may make it one day when the nostalgia hit me.

I could be persuaded to sell it, but it would have to be a crazily substantial offer.

Second, this BIG White Star:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/b5/vh_preatc.htm

I read somewhere on the web a long time ago the maker had to C&D pretty well as soon as he started, so there are probably very, very few in existence.

I may make it, but simply don't feel my skills are yet up to doing it justice - and may never be!

I could be persuaded to sell it, but I paid a lot for it!

Third, the SHED UFO:

http://www.fab1.net/ufo/shedufo.htm

I AM actually making this at the moment - kinda what prompted the thread - and wouldn't sell it anyway -  too much of a UFO fan

Paul

markmarples

for me it must be

1/72 airfix E3 sentry still sealed in the celophane, and i have 2!!!!!

one will get built this year
Regards

Mark

www.mainlymilitary.co.uk

PR19_Kit

Probably an Otaki 1/144 C-5 Galaxy that I was GIVEN for free by a buddy who didn't read the scale on the box when he bought it.  ;D

But I've also gathered a few other rarities over time, a Lindberg 1/48 XF-91 for a starter. No, I have NO idea why I got it, and I'm probably never going to build it.

Also got two Frog DC-7Cs, one of which just may get built.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 13, 2012, 05:22:17 AM
But I've also gathered a few other rarities over time, a Lindberg 1/48 XF-91 for a starter. No, I have NO idea why I got it, and I'm probably never going to build it.

I picked up a pair of those off ebay for a very reasonable price! One of them is DEFINATELY slated for a good whiffing, dunno about the other one: there's a nostalgia factor involved...

Generally speaking, I don't do really rare and valuable kits: when I do get them, I usually sell them on to buy more Whiff fodder.

I do have an Aeroclub Gnat F.1 stored carefully away though...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

I've a pair of Comet Miniatures Blake's 7 Liberators, one of which is pristine and I'd like to sell it.  However, ebay is way too volatile and I'm not letting it go for a pittance when I've seen them reach £200.

I've an Aurora Cheyenne that'll eventually be whiffed.

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

The rarest kit I have is a Santos 1/72 Canadair CP-107 Argus vacuform.  One of only ten made by a South African fellow.  
Not sure what the 'rare' status of an Airways 1/72 Britannia vacuform is, or what the 'rare' status is of a Blackbird Models 1/72 Lockheed C-5 Galaxy (ex-ID Models), but I have one of each.
All will be built ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Not sure if it's rare or not and no idea re price but the rarest one I think I own is Delta Models 1/72 Savioa Marchetti S-55 flying boat. I may build her some day

Some of my resin kits are probably difficult to get hold of now as they were short run when they came out
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

albeback

Probably the Otaki 1/144 C-5A Galaxy. I've got 2!! ;D
One is being "whiffed" as a R R Trent engined C-5K ( RAF) - work has kind of stalled for the moment.

I've also got a pair of Lindberg 1/48 XF-88s. Not sure how rare  it is though. These will also get whiffed at some point!! ;D
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 13, 2012, 08:11:04 AM
Not sure if it's rare or not and no idea re price but the rarest one I think I own is Delta Models 1/72 Savioa Marchetti S-55 flying boat. I may build her some day

I have one of those too. A Whiff in a box!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

coolpop6307

I have an Aurora MBT-70 still in the shrink wrap! I think it counts as rare  :unsure: . And I was about to put it on ebay.  :lol:
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 13, 2012, 11:01:39 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 13, 2012, 08:11:04 AM

I have one of those too. A Whiff in a box!  :thumbsup:

Ive got the wreckage of one of those some ware in the loft. Picked it up off Hannants many moons ago for a reasonable price, and completely buggered it up when I tried to build it.

As for my rarest?  No idea Ive got a far to many kits in the stash to worry about rarity.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

raafif

resin Disney Nautilus kit -- 39" long - one of only 20 made, $250.oo.  willing to sell.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

JayBee

Faller HKS-3 glider, 1/100 scale.
Two in the box.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

pyro-manic

Nothing particularly rare. I have a Contrail Fairey Spearfish, and a Volks EVA 01 resin kit, but other than that, it's all very run-of-the-mill. Oh, and a resin kit of the VF-4 Lightning from Macross.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on March 13, 2012, 12:43:35 PM
Ive got the wreckage of one of those some ware in the loft. Picked it up off Hannants many moons ago for a reasonable price, and completely buggered it up when I tried to build it.

Apparently that's quite a common result, it's a PIG  to build so rumour has it. But then it was originally a Delta kit after all.  ;D

Have you ever tried to build their MC-72? AAaaaggggggghhh!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit