What's the rarest/most valuable model you own?

Started by pwagner, March 13, 2012, 04:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Most expensive kit I have bought is my CMR Bucaneer

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kerick

Still have a Hawk 1/48th OV-10 Bronco still in the plastic.  Probably never build it.  Drop a PM and we could talk.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

AeroplaneDriver

I dont have many that I consider particularly rare or expensive...my two Italeri 1/48 Tornado F.3s might count before the reissue.  I suppose if I had to pick it would be the two Airfix/MPC Space 1999 Hawk Interceptors. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Weaver

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 13, 2012, 10:29:05 PM
I dont have many that I consider particularly rare or expensive...my two Italeri 1/48 Tornado F.3s might count before the reissue.  I suppose if I had to pick it would be the two Airfix/MPC Space 1999 Hawk Interceptors. 

I picked up a Hawk in tatty condition (damaged box, all parts off sprues, minor crap paint) from ebay for not a lot once. The temptation to put it back on at asensibletime of day at collector's price proved too great however (worked though... ;))
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Most expensive?  Probably the Titan Find Blake's 7 Liberator.  IIRC, I paid about £150 for that but I did fund it by selling off other stuff.  The Starcraft Akira and Nova Class starships weren't exactly cheap either.

Aircraft wise, the Magna VC10, Toad Resins Ju 488A and the Kora Ju 488V401 are probably the most pricey in the stash.  Plasticwise, the Hasegawa Lancaster ASR3.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

Not much really.  I bought an Anigrand 1/72 T-4MS that cost me around £60 at the time and is languishing partly built, that's the most I've spent and not much compared to some here.  I've an Airfix 1/24 Harrier GR.1 before they added the GR.3 parts, not exactly rare but they're not around in large quantities.  I've a resin Miles M.24 Master Fighter (that's labelled as a Mk.I), I've never been able to find out who it was by so I guess that's rare.  Probably my rarest (as a package at least) is the Airfix 1/72 TSR.2 that came with the print.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

That Master is either CMK or a Czech copy of the Pegasus kit.  Or the Pegasus one is a copy of the CMK kit.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Mossie

Cheers Lee, I remember you found it for me at Telford. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

There's a few other CMK/Pegasus kits that are fingerprint identical:

Blohm und Voss Bv 155
Supermarine Seafire FR47
Supermarine Spiteful
Supermarine Swift FR5*
Boulton Paul Balliol*
Martin Baker MB5*

There may be more but those are what I can think of offhand.

*Anecdotal from various sources

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on March 15, 2012, 06:33:51 AM
Not much really.  I bought an Anigrand 1/72 T-4MS that cost me around £60 at the time and is languishing partly built, that's the most I've spent and not much compared to some here.  I've an Airfix 1/24 Harrier GR.1 before they added the GR.3 parts, not exactly rare but they're not around in large quantities.  I've a resin Miles M.24 Master Fighter (that's labelled as a Mk.I), I've never been able to find out who it was by so I guess that's rare.  Probably my rarest (as a package at least) is the Airfix 1/72 TSR.2 that came with the print.

My PAK-20 book says Rug Rat Resins did a Miles Master Mk.I/Ia, and I've got one of those TSR2 kits with the print too.  I had the print valued some time ago when I went to get it framed and the guy said it was worth about C$200.  It's still rolled up in it's shipping paper though.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Spey_Phantom

most valluable kit i have in the stash at the  moment, lets see.....

Matchbox 1/72 Vickers Wellesley
Matchbox 1/72 Meteor NF.11 (becoming quite rare here)
Hasegawa 1/72 F-20 Tigershark (not easy to find here)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nils on March 16, 2012, 10:28:20 AM
Matchbox 1/72 Meteor NF.11 (becoming quite rare here)

You're kidding, yes?

I can't imagine why, unless it's the Matchbox boxing that's rare. The identical Revell plastic seems to be freely available in the UK.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Don't forget the current Xtrakit boxing.

It's a pig of a kit to assemble.  I for one utterly loathe it.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 19, 2012, 05:30:22 AM

It's a pig of a kit to assemble.  I for one utterly loathe it.

Is the Xtrakit one from the same mould as the M'box/Revell one? I wonder why they bothered.  :unsure:

It sure is a pain to build, that upper fuselage bit fits where it touches, and that's not many places!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 19, 2012, 01:19:17 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 19, 2012, 05:30:22 AM

It's a pig of a kit to assemble.  I for one utterly loathe it.

Is the Xtrakit one from the same mould as the M'box/Revell one? I wonder why they bothered.  :unsure:

It sure is a pain to build, that upper fuselage bit fits where it touches, and that's not many places!

The XtraKit NF.Mk.11 is the Matchbox kit  Kit, why it would be any more of a pig to build than the Matchbox kit I don't know.  Maybe Lee can enlighten us ---

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XK72002
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike