What's the rarest/most valuable model you own?

Started by pwagner, March 13, 2012, 04:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

I simply loathe that kit, no matter which boxing it's in.  A turd will smell like a turd, no matter what it's called.

Never bought the Xtrakit one as I've still several Matchbox ones (all the bits tipped into one big box).  It's such a horrid, ill-fitting mess of a tool.  We really need a decent one.  Actually, I'd take one that was the equivalent of the Frog Meteor IV as long as it fitted together.  Matchbox were too clever with the tooling.  The He 70 was the same.

What makes it all the worse is that I've an idea for a Meteor TR10 based on the NF14.  And I'd have to use the Matchbox kit to build it.

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Rat

I'm presuming you mean 'in the stash', so the Otaki C-5 I built in the 70s doesn't count, along with a few others. In that case it's probably the Comet boxing of the Canberra, and yes, it will be built. I love watching collectors go apoplectic! ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Wooksta!

I don't know why they complain, because it just means that their own kits are just that little bit more valuable.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

I've got a Frog Canberra (can't remember the mark at the moment) which someone told me I should just keep unbuilt  ---

it'll get built someday ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 20, 2012, 05:59:43 AM
I simply loathe that kit, no matter which boxing it's in.  A turd will smell like a turd, no matter what it's called.

Never bought the Xtrakit one as I've still several Matchbox ones (all the bits tipped into one big box).  It's such a horrid, ill-fitting mess of a tool.  We really need a decent one.  Actually, I'd take one that was the equivalent of the Frog Meteor IV as long as it fitted together.  Matchbox were too clever with the tooling.  The He 70 was the same.

What makes it all the worse is that I've an idea for a Meteor TR10 based on the NF14.  And I'd have to use the Matchbox kit to build it.

Misunderstood your first comment Lee --- I thought you had said sometime ago that you liked the Matchbox kit.

Anyway, Aeroclub do/did a very nice Meteor T.7 and a Mk.8, they seem to be really scarce now, got one of each and I've got a couple of their Venoms too which you don't see very often, they're of different marks but once again, it's slipped my mind as to what they are.

I had wondered why John Adams never did a nightfighter version of his Meteors.  Mind you the new kits of the Mk.8 are very similar to how the Aeroclub kits are put together
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Rat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 20, 2012, 06:06:59 AM
I don't know why they complain, because it just means that their own kits are just that little bit more valuable.

:thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Wooksta!

I did the Aeroclub F8 and sold the second F8 I had along with the T7.  Didn't enjoy the build at all. The Venoms were the F1 and FB4.  

With the Matchbox Meteor available, there was no point to Aeroclub doing a Meteor NF.  You can still find the Rareplanes vacform one and crosskitting the fuselage from that plus the Matchbox wings/tailplanes may give a better model.

I do have a PJ resin Meteor NF11 somewhere, along with an F4 and T7. Long term stash for them.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

Quote from: The Rat on March 20, 2012, 06:28:56 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 20, 2012, 06:06:59 AM

:thumbsup:

Until we actually build the things, I suppose we are collectors too. 

There's certain kits that I have that I regards as collectables for nostalgia purposes.  I'm keepig one of each boxing of the Frog/Novo Hornet for one, the Airfix Mosquito is another.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Have a couple of quite rare car kits - an Airfix Porsche 934 and BMW 3.0CSi - been offered really daft money for the Beamer. Also have a number of old Monogram car kits which seem to be near impossible to find nowadays, all US Muscle Cars and NONE of them for sale !!.

Still got a Hasegawa 1:48 Stuka for sale in a rare boxing that has Aeromaster Hungarian AF decals - thought that would have gone when the stash went-up-on eBay... Got lots of 'watchers' each time but no bidders... odd  :-\

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

seavixen

I still own 6 of the 7 original packaged Airfix SR-53s I bought at a boot sale back in 1993 for the princely sum of £4! One sold to a US buyer on eBay three years ago for £88 from a start price of £9.
I also have an almost complete Airfix Stingray and a bagged Airfix Hawker Hart tucked away somewhere in the loft.
Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite

Joe C-P

Rarest? Perhaps the Heller 1/400 Surcouf, original release.

Most expensive is a 1/350 USS Detroit, USN light cruiser; the hull and superstructure are one BIG hunk of resin.

I'm a builder, in intent if not in reality, and hope and plan to build everything I own.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

PR19_Kit

I've done three of the M'box NF14s now, but all Whiffed into various PR19s of course.

Every one of them was a pain to build, the wing-fuselage joint was designed by a sadist and the upper fuselage part, which supports the different canopies, is quite a bit wider than the the lower part. Not only that, the various fins have no firm alignment and it's very easy to build them on the slant.

Having said all that I've got around 5-6 unbuilt ones, both M'box and Revell versions, stored away in The Loft.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The rarest kit I own is possibly the Provence Moulage Aston Martin DB7.  Never seen another one except on ebay for a small fortune and the one that I did get was from ebay US and took a while to arrive.  Too affeared to start it in case I muck it up as I can't get another.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 22, 2012, 04:36:13 AM
The rarest kit I own is possibly the Provence Moulage Aston Martin DB7. 

I've got a P-M Jaguar XJR-9 and I haven't even started it for the same reasons as you Lee............  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

There is a Tamiya XJR-9LM that could be used as a donor (don't know how different this is from the P-M kit, though)...