What to do with the Airfix RNLI Severn Class Lifeboat 07280?

Started by McColm, March 15, 2012, 10:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Quote from: Sticky Fingers on November 19, 2012, 03:58:07 AM
Maybe this is an inspiration?

Go Gundam!!

That, sir, most certinly is! :wub: 

The battered look gives me another, more sobre idea.  When the Severn class was introduced, the RNLI sold off it's predecessor, the Arun class.  Most of these are stiill around since it was a very robust and seaworthy design.   Some have remained as lifeboats with other institutions or as Police launches, some have gone into private as dive boats.  So go forward a decade so (I'm guessing the Severn and Trent classes will be next in line to be replaced once the Shannon class replaces the Mersey class) and we'll probably see the Severn class in some new roles and liveries.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Quote from: Mossie on November 19, 2012, 04:39:59 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 19, 2012, 03:35:37 AM
You'd have to do a lot of work on the Severn's bulwarks to make them straight. Many of the present day lifeboat classes have a huge dip in the bulwarks around mid-hull length so they can take survivors aboard with a low freeboard. The Severn has exactly this configuration so much plastic carving and shutting could be in order.

Neverther less it's a brill idea and the model is a nice size to work with.

Maybe it would be easier to mount it on another hull such as the Airfix or Revell MTB's?  It might be simpler if your going to be hacking the lifeboats superstructure anyway.  Most of those kits would give you a bit more length to play with too.  Another bonus is that you've got a model that doen't look anything much like the kits you've taken it from.

I've looked into this a little bit more.  Most 1/72 boat kits are WWII era MTB's, the allied ones especially have a taper to the stern that is not seen so often on modern vessels.  The Revell S boot and Airfix E Boat have this to a lesser extent but have steps or cutouts that you'd need to fill.  Tamiya's PT-15 is a good option but expensive.

Probably the best bet would be Revell's 1/72 DGZrS Arkona (or Berlin if you can get the older boxing).  It's hull is not as sleek looking (the Arkona is just a knot slower), but it's another 10m longer than the Severn class which would give you a little more room to stick stuff.  Alternatively, you could just use the Arkona as is instead of hacking the Airfix kit up although it's fairly pedestrian looking.  Revells other 1/72 lifeboat, the DGZrS Hermann Marwede would work as a basis for a much larger vessel (if you can find one).

There's some pics on Modellversium of the two models together, have a look at the panel on the right for more on the Hermann Marwede.
http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/15-schiffe-zivil/3024-seenotrettungskreuzer-arkona-revell.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

coolpop6307

Since I am a firefighter fanatic I could see this as a fire boat just waiting for a fire so it could race to it. Heck extend the back to were it could hold a skycrane.  :lol:  :tank:

Thanks
   Joshua
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on November 20, 2012, 06:47:08 AM
Probably the best bet would be Revell's 1/72 DGZrS Arkona (or Berlin if you can get the older boxing).  It's hull is not as sleek looking (the Arkona is just a knot slower), but it's another 10m longer than the Severn class which would give you a little more room to stick stuff.  Alternatively, you could just use the Arkona as is instead of hacking the Airfix kit up although it's fairly pedestrian looking.  Revells other 1/72 lifeboat, the DGZrS Hermann Marwede would work as a basis for a much larger vessel (if you can find one).

There's some pics on Modellversium of the two models together, have a look at the panel on the right for more on the Hermann Marwede.
http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/15-schiffe-zivil/3024-seenotrettungskreuzer-arkona-revell.html

That's a good idea to get over the curved deckline problem of the Severn Class.

The German life-boat philosophy is to use a separate daughter boat to collect survirvors and bring them back to the 'mother ship', whereas the guys at Poole subscribe to hauling them directly over the side of the lifeboat itself. I've watched them doing this in Poole Harbour, for training or testing I'm not sure, and although I'd be pleased to see them coming along to rescue me I'm not sure I'd volunteer to be one of the 'survivors' in the training/testing exercises! It looks pretty bruising!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 20, 2012, 07:50:00 AM
The German life-boat philosophy is to use a separate daughter boat to collect survirvors and bring them back to the 'mother ship', whereas the guys at Poole subscribe to hauling them directly over the side of the lifeboat itself. I've watched them doing this in Poole Harbour, for training or testing I'm not sure, and although I'd be pleased to see them coming along to rescue me I'm not sure I'd volunteer to be one of the 'survivors' in the training/testing exercises! It looks pretty bruising!

40 years ago when I was young and daft, I volunteered to be "rescued"  by the Campbeltown life-boat  as part of a display. I can confirm that being hauled out is NOT a life-enhancing experience.........but if they were dragging me aboard  for real, during a force 11 on a November night,I don't think I'd be grumbling!! Those guys (and girls too)  do a magnificent job; and they are all volunteers....

Hobby horse being ridden at this point

....So put some money in the RNLI collecting box ,  please!!

Sorry,  hobby horse stabled again.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on November 20, 2012, 08:13:41 AM
Hobby horse being ridden at this point

....So put some money in the RNLI collecting box ,  please!!

Sorry,  hobby horse stabled again.

I'd concur with that. Mrs PR19 and I never pass an RNLI shop without popping in and buying something . Until recently we always had one of their car aerial 'flags' but they stopped selling them sadly so we're looking for an alternative.

For two years I provided the model 'victim boat' at the Exeter Model Boat Day for the numerous model lifeboats to come and 'rescue'. I got quite adept at chosing places to go aground that made it VERY difficult for them to get to me, but they never failed once.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I made sure I picked up a few items from the stand at Telford and threw in a little extra too.  My Dad was an avid sea angler and had several boats through his life, that coupled with being a Fireman gave him a very healthy respect for the RNLI which has rubbed off on me.

coolpop6307

Quote from: coolpop6307 on November 20, 2012, 07:18:45 AM
Since I am a firefighter fanatic I could see this as a fire boat just waiting for a fire so it could race to it. Heck extend the back to were it could hold a skycrane.  :lol:  :tank:

Thanks
   Joshua

Here is what I meant now I think I need to buy the boat.

Thanks
  Joshua
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

McColm

That's a great idea Joshua. I'll have to use a HH-53 instead of the HH-54 as I'm converting it into a Rotor Dyne. I've also picked up an RAF Launch, since I wrote this topic.

Mossie

A new design for the Canadian Coast Guard based on the Severn Class, with the catchy title of CCGS High Endurance Self-righting Search & Rescue Lifeboat
http://www.ral.ca/news/2013/2013-07-12.html

A conversion of the Airfix kit would be a difficult one.

DarrenP

how about use some of the model railway sunbather figures etc  and tur it into a luxury yacht

Captain Canada

:-\ Great thread. Sorry I've missed the boat so far !

I like the idea of putting a gun on it. Or maybe a few guns. A turret up front, but you'd have to hack away at the forecastle or whatever you call it.

The helicopter deck looks pretty cool, but it's not really a big boat so that might be hard to do.

All of those accessories from the Fleet store look pretty nice, and would be a great start.

The new CCG boat looks pretty good as well. I've seen some put up for the winter here in Sarnia, not sure what class they are at the moment. I think I put some pics of them up over in Ship Spotting.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?