3d Printing

Started by tigercat, March 21, 2012, 12:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

van883

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

1/72 Britannia u/c, actually for the Canadair CP-107 Argus but they're the same.  You get four propellers for the R-3350's that the Argus used too.

http://www.coopersmodels.com/catalog/item/8862503/10001864.htm

Got a couple of the sets already but they're a bit expensive though.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: van883 on March 27, 2014, 11:14:48 AM
3D printed missiles form High Planes

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/kits/hpa072031reviewmd_1.htm

Look good. I wonder if some of our Czech friends will start using the method ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Aircav

I know that MDC use a 3D printer for their masters, Ti's the future.   :thumbsup:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

zenrat

In the future you won't buy a kit you'll download the files to print one (either from the Airfix website or from pirate bay).
Whiffers will be masters of merging files.
ericr will be 3d scanning his neighbours pets and then adding wings.
Kit will be digitally stretching the wings of everything before printing them.
And my stash instead of filling up shelves will fill up hard drive space.

Re printing masters for resin casting, it's done a fair bit in the model car world.  Wheels especially.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 29, 2014, 07:33:10 PM
In the future you won't buy a kit you'll download the files to print one (either from the Airfix website or from pirate bay).
Whiffers will be masters of merging files.
ericr will be 3d scanning his neighbours pets and then adding wings.
Kit will be digitally stretching the wings of everything before printing them.
And my stash instead of filling up shelves will fill up hard drive space.

Re printing masters for resin casting, it's done a fair bit in the model car world.  Wheels especially.

The future is ALMOST here guys!

I love it, a Whiffer's paradise, as there'd be none of those 'Oh ******, this nose is too wide for that fuselage!' moments, you'd just be able to merge one with the other before it existed in hardware form.

It could presage the end of putty sales and even of PSR work.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 30, 2014, 01:52:43 AM

The future is ALMOST here guys!

The end of PSR means the end of Madame grouching at me because of the dust it raises.  Huzzah!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Yup in the same way that some bright spark suggested the paperless office a few years ago.....it will never happen.

"Luddites of the World Unite, before the Technocrats take it over"  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Must admit it's extremely interesting and it's come a long way since I first saw a working 3D printer in the London's Science Museum a couple of years ago. That was the trip where me and Young Nick got a couple of kids in trouble for our actions  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As far as I know they are even doing it with metals now ?

Hobbes

3D printing has a long way to go before you can dispense with PSR and putty. Even the best printers leave discernible layers or other patterns that have to be smoothed out to get a model-worthy finish.
3D printing for metals is being done in two ways:
1. sintering, ie fusing small grains of metal together.
2. a two-step process where the printer creates a mould that is used for casting.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 30, 2014, 07:34:30 AM

Yup in the same way that some bright spark suggested the paperless office a few years ago.....it will never happen.

A few years ago?  The DoD was talking about going paperless ten years ago.  And, as we can see, it's never happened.

Of course, it does seem to work in the medical field, without the need for PSR
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng