3d Printing

Started by tigercat, March 21, 2012, 12:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Hobbes on March 30, 2014, 09:20:39 AM
3D printing for metals is being done in two ways:
1. sintering, ie fusing small grains of metal together.
2. a two-step process where the printer creates a mould that is used for casting.

Was aware of sintering, it's been going on in the steel industry for 100 years or so in the blast furnace prep area. Iron ore + Limestone + Coke all fused together for Blast Furnace feed but I understand the process you are talking about  :thumbsup:. Must admit I thought I'd seen something else although thinking about it, it was probably the idea of growing single crystals in the shapes you require ? Isn't that what RR are doing with turbine blades ? Or am I just going ga ga ?  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

You're right Chris, RR create single crystals for turbine blades. That's rather different from 3D printing though, if I remember correctly they insert a small 'seed crystal into a pool of molten metal, then pull it out slowly so that the metal will accrete to the seed and hopefully extend the crystal. This is also used in the semiconductor industry to create the silicon wafers that ICs are built on.

NARSES2

Ah thanks Harro, that's what was at the back of my mind  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on March 31, 2014, 10:22:21 AM
You're right Chris, RR create single crystals for turbine blades. That's rather different from 3D printing though, if I remember correctly they insert a small 'seed crystal into a pool of molten metal, then pull it out slowly so that the metal will accrete to the seed and hopefully extend the crystal.

That's exactly right Harro, I've watched them do it at their R&D plant in Derby and it's pretty awesome, as is the size of the machine that does it! Not to mention the heat that it produces.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Just got an e-mail from Staples: they're selling plug'n'play 3D printers in their high street shops now. £1500 for the base model, £2000 for the better one. No idea how the specs compare to other printers. This is the product page:

http://www.staples.co.uk/lists/nonbrowseskusset?SkusetId=19591&cm_mmc=150715_COR_PRO_UK3_3_E15_07_015_09UK&RegID=-100000&RegID1=-100000&RegID2=0
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

It's like we're living in the future.
Now, where's my jet pack & flying car...

The sticking point is now the CAD files.  Not everyone can knock up a 3D model of a Wyvern contra-prop (say) so there is going to be a market for this sort of thing.  An enterprising resin caster might think about branching out into that area.  There is a whole new world of nit picking coming...
How do you stop theft of your design?
Will be see affordable 3d scanners so we can simply scan our stash and knock out copies of whatever we desire?
Hmm, no more sanding off oversize rivets and raised detail followed by rescribing - just scan, edit & print.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on July 15, 2015, 03:14:20 AM
The sticking point is now the CAD files.  Not everyone can knock up a 3D model of a Wyvern contra-prop (say)so there is going to be a market for this sort of thing.

Agreed.  I've tried CAD design, and frankly...I don't have the patience.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Hobbes

Quote from: zenrat on July 15, 2015, 03:14:20 AM
It's like we're living in the future.
Now, where's my jet pack & flying car...

The sticking point is now the CAD files.  Not everyone can knock up a 3D model of a Wyvern contra-prop (say) so there is going to be a market for this sort of thing.  An enterprising resin caster might think about branching out into that area.  There is a whole new world of nit picking coming...
How do you stop theft of your design?
Will be see affordable 3d scanners so we can simply scan our stash and knock out copies of whatever we desire?
Hmm, no more sanding off oversize rivets and raised detail followed by rescribing - just scan, edit & print.

It's easier to sand and rescribe than to edit a scanned 3D model. When you use a 3D scanner, you get a model surface that consists of lots of tiny triangles (each endpoint of the triangle is one measurement point). There's no way to separate e.g. the fuselage from the rivets that sit on top of the fuselage.
There's no data that says "hey, all these features are rivets", so there's no way to remove all rivets in one go (at least not in the software I've seen). You have to edit each rivet by hand, and that takes a while.

Mossie

I making the assumption that eventually, 3D printing and design will eventually be similar to the 2D digital world now.  Basically, in several years the printers will be more affordable and software/apps will be easier to use but still only really used in anger by those with the wherewithal to wield the witchcraft contained within.

I have this idea that the model aftermarket will be similar to now, some craftsman (the craft may be a different one) will create the original and you'll simply pay for a file and print it out.  There are many things to work out along the way though.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on July 15, 2015, 04:16:07 AM

I have this idea that the model aftermarket will be similar to now, some craftsman (the craft may be a different one) will create the original and you'll simply pay for a file and print it out.  There are many things to work out along the way though.

That's the way I see it going as well Mossie

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on July 15, 2015, 04:16:07 AM

Ford are already doing that, they've partnered with Turbo-Squid to sell .stl files that enable you to print a simple 1/32 rendition
of a few current vehicles. Note these are solid, one-piece models.

http://3d.ford.com/3d-printables.html