USS Kentucky, BBHN-66

Started by SigfanUSAF, March 27, 2012, 02:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SigfanUSAF

Been a while since my last post, babies get in the way of hobbies at times ;D

Excuse the mock up, the wood will get covered in styrene soon. This is the USS Kentucky, converted to BBH status under nuclear power in 1965. This will be the modernized 1990s version, as if she underwent conversion with the other four Iowas in the mid 80s. The superstructure planned will be identical to that of the USS Long Beach.

Here's my storyline so far( the XXXs will be filled in when I'm done and do the final scale conversions):

QuoteThe USS Kentucky was still under construction at the end of hostilities and was caught up in the post-war draw down of the armed services. Her construction was suspended twice, during which times she served as a spare parts cache of sorts. Kentucky was nearly scrapped after several failed attempts to have her completed as a guided missile battleship. Since the 71% ship had begun the scrapping process, the Navy used Kentucky's four turbine sets to power the ships Camden and Sacramento. As the hull was being torn into, the Navy suddenly realized the need for helicopter assault troops, after the world saw the action in Il Drang valley in November 1965. The decision had been initially made to convert one of the 4 completed Iowas, but it soon became apparent the hulk of Kentucky would be a more suitable option. With the lack of a suitable boiler system available, the Navy turned to Westinghouse, which had put into production reactor sets for the USS Enterprise and were well equipped to produce more. The resulting power plant included 4 × Westinghouse A2W nuclear reactors with 2 sets of Westinghouse geared steam turbines, 4 × shafts producing 160,000 shp.

The hull was extended XXX feet, giving an overall length of XXX from rear elevator to bow. The initial setup called for one elevator, but experience in Vietnam led to several improvements during her 1985-86 refit. The port side was sponsoned out XXX feet, with an angled flight deck capable of operating McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harriers. The starboard side was also given a small sponson, to allow clearance for larger helicopters, such as the CH-53 Sea Stallion, to park well out of the way of the flight line during operations. A second, larger elevator was also added to the starboard side. This brought the maximum width of the ship to XXX feet. Additional compliments of this upgrade include 4x quadruple Harpoon canisters; 4x 20mm Phalanx CIWS Mk 15 guns; and 24 BGM-84 Tomahawk cruise missiles in six Armored Box Launchers. The original 6 16" 50cal guns leftover from the 1965 refit remain, as well as the 8 5"/38cal guns in four twin turrets. The electronics package included the same compliments the Iowas were given: AN/SPS-49 air search radar; AN/SPS-67 surface search radar; AN/SPQ-9 gun fire control radar; AN/SLQ-32 Electronic Warfare Suite; AN/SLQ-25 Nixie Decoy System; and 8x Mk 36 SBROC Chaff launchers.

RussC

Like the build and backstory. I had even forgotten that the battleship line extended beyond BB-64 !
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

kerick

Nice wood working!!  This is a believable whif of BB update.  Keep us posted.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Army of One

I like this.....love the rear deck area.... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PR19_Kit

That's a really neat idea!  :thumbsup:

How ever big is the model?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

SigfanUSAF

Thanks guys! The OAL is about 31.5" from bow to elevator.

Here's todays progress update:

RussC

Astounding proportions and scope. While that open area in the back is clearly the access to the elevator for the hangar deck, its awfully tall for that and near to the waterline. Is it your design to include a sea-ramp there like on the LHD ships? A exit and entry for LCT's or more modern fare like LCAC's ?
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

SigfanUSAF

Russ,
The intent on the rear is in fact a well deck to accept smaller amphibious vehicles if needed, but the ship doesn't carry any. The idea would be a hydraulic ramp that lowers with the elevator in the up position.

Captain Canada

Beauty ! I love ships that carry choppers and Harriers...especially converted battleships ! Great job so far.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hobbes

SigfanUSAF

Operating with the USS New Jersey.....

Joe C-P

An ambitious project, and fine execution!  :thumbsup:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Old Wombat

This is just Cool! :mellow: Love it!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

pyro-manic

Interesting! What about replacing that lattice mast with another small deckhouse for the "flyco" position? The lattice seems kind of redundant with that huge boxy Long Beach superstructure in front of it. Maybe even stick it on top of the bridge?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

sequoiaranger

I am not into "modern" warships, but these Iowa conversions/adaptations look wonderful. Keep up the good work!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!