USS Kentucky, BBHN-66

Started by SigfanUSAF, March 27, 2012, 02:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Looks great next to the New Jersey!  The box superstructure look very distinctive.  Needs a "control tower" overlooking the flight deck.  At that size you can detail this until the cows come home.  Keep it up!!!!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

SigfanUSAF

Thanks Gents :thumbsup:

I got the 3 Gallery 1/350 USMC A/C kits in this weekend:

kerick

This is one of the best BB updates I've seen.  Makes me wish it had been built in real life.  Carry on, Sir!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

craigdwpa

Life is tough! Life is tougher if your stupid!!!

Joe C-P

Kerick is right, you need a flight control booth. Even the "ordinary" Iowas had one for their flight decks, just above the after main turret, and more so since she'll be operating Harriers as well as helos.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Captain Canada

Looking great now ! Love all the big helos on there. I think my favourite part is all the frogs lined up on the little sponson. Neat idea, for sure !

I hadn't noticed the redundancy of the lattice back there behind the 'box', but now that it's been pointed out, it makes sense. I have plans for a RCN ship of similar proportions, and had no plans for an a/c control tower. Makes sense tho, and thanks guys for pointing that out !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

SigfanUSAF

A little more work, note the flight control bridge and removed mast :mellow:

Captain Canada

Nice.....I like it more every time I see it ! And the problem with that is, I just keep looking ! And looking.....

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

i know you are using the Long Beach style superstructure but did you consider the Aegis superstructure with the flat radar antenna? 
Tophe the Wise

SigfanUSAF

I'd thought of Aegis, but for the amphibious assault role I didn't think it was appropriate. This weekends progress:

coolpop6307

It is looking great I have always love battleships and such.
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

kerick

I did a little checking and the USS Long Beach's box superstrudture was a planar phased array radar.  It was a precursor to the Aegis system.  USS Enterprise had the same setup.  Kentucky would have looked good with Enterprise, Long Beach and Bainbridge on their around the world cruise in 1964.
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt322/kerick214/New%20ship/TaskForce_One.jpg
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.