USS Kentucky, BBHN-66

Started by SigfanUSAF, March 27, 2012, 02:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SigfanUSAF

Quote from: rickshaw on April 20, 2012, 07:56:10 PM
Quote from: SigfanUSAF on April 20, 2012, 03:09:07 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 18, 2012, 02:12:18 AM
That IS impressive!  :o

What's the odd looking small ship dead astern of the Kentucky in your fleet piccie?

That is a half finished scratch built 155' tugboat.

Thats for when the other ships break down? ;D

Exactly!!!

My *ultimate* goal is a full on 1/350 harbor scene, aka San Diego ca 1990. My plan is a 4' x 10'table, piers n' all. The wife doesn't see it that way.......

rickshaw

Quote from: SigfanUSAF on April 20, 2012, 08:18:59 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on April 20, 2012, 07:56:10 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 18, 2012, 02:12:18 AM
That IS impressive!  :o

What's the odd looking small ship dead astern of the Kentucky in your fleet piccie?

Thats for when the other ships break down? ;D

Exactly!!!

My *ultimate* goal is a full on 1/350 harbor scene, aka San Diego ca 1990. My plan is a 4' x 10'table, piers n' all. The wife doesn't see it that way.......

When she presents you with a choice between your dream and the woman of your dreams, you know which one you'll need to abandon, don't you?  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Ah right, thanks. Not often people go to those lengths, I'm impressed.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

You could place the ships close together as if they were all tied up to the same pier.  Just my $0.02.
Great work on a great concept.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

SigfanUSAF

Some more pics, more PE added along with a few details:

jsport

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

RussC

Shipbuilding excellence! It also really shows the great use of sunlight to bring out all of the details and realism.  :bow: :thumbsup:
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

rickshaw

Obviously cruising the Mediterranean Sea...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

RussC

Lets have fun with his fleet ! Bwa ha ha...A ha ha ha!!!!!!

Needs some foreground objects, some carrier jets, flown by fellows who probably shouldn't have stayed around F-14 Tomcats for so long!

"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

NARSES2

Tremendous work  :bow: Love the two together.

I always find myself spending ages admiring the ship models at Telford every year and these would be completely at home in the competition, especially on the winners podium  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

fightingirish

Wow, the newest flaggship of the US Navy.

SigfanUSAF

Thanks for the compliments! There's a lot of hours between those two! Russ, thanks for the underway pics :cheers:

:tornado:

Two more projects on the bench- converting the Tamiya 1/350 New Jersey into the Missouri............

And Academys 1/350 Tirpitz........as re-floated post war and converted into a BBG by the Soviets:-)
(this will justify a future whif- the Washington or the Indiana as re-fit in the '80s)

Joe C-P

Quote from: SigfanUSAF on June 11, 2012, 12:41:00 PM
And Academys 1/350 Tirpitz........as re-floated post war and converted into a BBG by the Soviets:-)
(this will justify a future whif- the Washington or the Indiana as re-fit in the '80s)

How about one of Tamiya's RN BBs instead? Exocets and Goalkeepers and SeaCats! HMS Anson sails to the Falklands and shells the Argies troops into surrendering.

If you don't, somebody else will!  ;D

(Looking forward to that Tirpitzski.  :thumbsup: )
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

SigfanUSAF

After a catastrophic failure of my wooden flight deck area, I've had to completely rebuild the Kentucky.

Apparently my AC running 24hrs a day to keep up with 105-108 degree high humidity days has caused a warpage I was unable to correct. So much for the block of pine I have had indoors for the last 3 years :banghead:

I used styrene "scraps" and the forward flight deck section from a spare CVN65 to fabricate a new version. I corrected the boat/gun clutter, and landed the 5"/38s for Mk42 5"/54s.

The flight deck probably wouldn't handle harriers, but I like the yellow centerline markings :wacko: