B-52 in RAF service Query

Started by Cobra, March 27, 2012, 11:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, a Question that's Been Bugging Finally gave Me reason to Post! Did the RAF ever Look @ Purchasing some Early Model B-52's? I Britain has some Some Kick Arse Aircraft from that Period,but it's Something i've Always wondered about! Could you just Picture a BUFF in RAF Roundels? Thanks for looking. Dan

pyro-manic

AFAIK, no. The V-bombers appeared at roughly the same time, and were far more suited to the RAF's needs. Spinners has done several RAF Buffs on his Strike Fighters topic.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Martin H

I built an RAF B-52 in antiflash white with a blue steel under each wing many years ago.

I dont think we ever looked at buying any..........I doubt it would have been available for export anyway. Even to number one ally.

Would look good in standard RAF grey/green cammo thou
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

In the RW the RAF didn't need a bomber with that range to hit its prospective targets, the V bombers had enough range to do that already.

I'm not sure we had long enough runways to take the Buffs anyway, at least not on the airfields that weren't already allocated to the USAF like Fairford, Brize Norton, Greenham Common, Alconbury, Lakenheath and Mildenhall.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

alertken

Before any production orders, while all 3 V-types were in prototype construction, US offered B-47 (I assume, B) + Bomb. US' intent was to deflect UK from pouring resources into duplicating what US was already cascading. Foreign Secretary Bevin was opposed, so that lapsed. UK ordered 25 Valiant, 9/2/51, then further batches, then 25 each (to be Victor/Vulcan), 22/7/52). US, again offered (now) B-47E + Mk.5 Bomb, again declined 21/6/54. So 2 whiffs: B-47B for the Marham Valiant Squadrons (148/207/214), 1954-ish; and B-47E from 1956-ish vice (your choice:) slipping Vulcan/Waddington, 44/50 Sqdns, and/or slipping Victor/Honington, 55/57 Sqdns

PR19_Kit

On the other hand, we could have sold the USAF Victors and Vulcans.........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

simmie

Quote from: alertken on April 11, 2012, 06:06:39 AM
Before any production orders, while all 3 V-types were in prototype construction, US offered B-47 (I assume, B) + Bomb. US' intent was to deflect UK from pouring resources into duplicating what US was already cascading. Foreign Secretary Bevin was opposed, so that lapsed. UK ordered 25 Valiant, 9/2/51, then further batches, then 25 each (to be Victor/Vulcan), 22/7/52). US, again offered (now) B-47E + Mk.5 Bomb, again declined 21/6/54. So 2 whiffs: B-47B for the Marham Valiant Squadrons (148/207/214), 1954-ish; and B-47E from 1956-ish vice (your choice:) slipping Vulcan/Waddington, 44/50 Sqdns, and/or slipping Victor/Honington, 55/57 Sqdns

The logical conclusions of this idea are:
B-47B Operation Musketeer
B-47E(SR) strategic recon
B-47E tanker(?)
B-47E 'Black Buck'!!
Reality is for people who can't handle Whif!!

Now with more WHATTHEF***!! than ever before!

PR19_Kit

The B-47 in any variation hadn't got anywhere near the bomb load of a Vulcan or a Victor. The Black Buck raids would have needed 3-4 of them over the target to lay down the same amount of weaponary.

A B-47 carred the Bell Rascal missile on a starboard side fuselage pylon for test work, but was that possible with other weapons too? The RB-47H version could carry the big 'Silver King' pod in a similar place so they must have had some reinforcement fitted for that.

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 12, 2012, 05:38:34 AM
A B-47 carried the Bell Rascal missile on a starboard side fuselage pylon for test work, but was that possible with other weapons too?

Are you thinking Blue steel Kit?
Unfortunately,

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on April 12, 2012, 09:11:14 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 12, 2012, 05:38:34 AM
A B-47 carried the Bell Rascal missile on a starboard side fuselage pylon for test work, but was that possible with other weapons too?

Are you thinking Blue steel Kit?

I wasn't, but I am now.  ;D

They are remarkably similar in size and weight, with the Blue Steel being faster and having 50% more range. Oddly the USAF already considered the Rascal obsolete some years before the Blue Steel even started its test flights. That may have had something to do with the Rascal's terrible test record, well over half the tests being failures.

Regards
Kit

alertken

(diverging from B-52/RAF, but...)

- AdlA Valiant: UK should "support (France) in their (sceptical) attitude towards NATO, give them the Bomb, perhaps some V-bombers, and generally support the idea of a confederation of Europe instead of a Federation" 7/60: C.Williams, Harold Macmillan, W'feld, 2009, P.375. Precisely at that time UK transferred Tasking of Marham Wing Valiant to Saceur. So: FAF Valiants ex-49/148/207 Sqdns; someone else hauls Saceur's nukes.

- NATO Nuclear Strike Force, on the Cottesmore Clutch: UK presented to NATO an Atlantic Nuclear Force: ANF (TNA, C.(65)48, 26/3/65), all joint targeted, was 4xRN+4xUSN SSBN, solo-manned; "some" (US silo-sited, mixed-manned) USAF Minuteman ICBMs; 8xSqdns ex-MBF, mixed-manned; some"UK" warheads were mooted (on 26/3/65 64xYellow Sun Mk.2 were in 4xSqdns/Victor B.1, 3xSqdns/Vulcan B.1{planned for phase-out,1966/67) and 1xSqdn/Vulcan B.2). So: long before TTTE/Cottesmore, we might have seen poly-decalled V-Craft, there and Wittering/Waddington.
(The logic was to insert FRG into the process of planning/deploying nukes on their territory. The actual outcome was the dual-key fit of US Bombs on F-104G).

tc2324

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 11, 2012, 07:26:39 AM

To give people an idea of what it may have looked like, here`s my effort from last year at the USAF Vulcan.......

.... and while not a B-52, my Strato Jet again gives an idea as to the scheme...,

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tc2324 on April 20, 2012, 04:03:30 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 11, 2012, 07:26:39 AM

To give people an idea of what it may have looked like, here`s my effort from last year at the USAF Vulcan.......

Needless to say, I just LOVE that!  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Martin H

this has been seen on this site a number of times  ;D

Unfortunately,