Not a WhIf.... but.... What if...?

Started by Old Wombat, April 01, 2012, 06:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Found this Imperial War Museum photo of a Humber Light Reconnaissance Car in Hamburg ca. 1945.

This is a real vehicle but.... note the MG in the cupola.... does that look slightly like a German MG42 to anyone else? ;)

Now..... What if more captured German weapons were used to arm Allied vehicles due to critical shortages of materials & to utilise large caches of captured weapons & munitions? :blink:

For example; German 7.5cm KwK 40's being fitted to Churchill's or Sherman's? ;D

Or; "Bren carriers" (Universal Carriers) fitted with MG42's?

For all I know the latter may be Real World, I haven't looked that far into it. After all, the Humber LRC is!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

RotorheadTX

Definitely looks like an MG42 to me....
Helluva surprise you found there!!

PR19_Kit

I wonder if it's mounted with Whitworth bolts or Metric ones?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

I note the guy standing next to the hatch is, also, wearing a pair of purloined jackboots, too! :smiley:

Steel Penguin

the old saying " if it aint on fire or nailed down its mine! and if i can pry it loose and put it out its mine too" springs to mind.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Hobbes

At first glance, I thought the kiosk was installed on the back of the armoured car.

lancer

I think it's a bloody good idea to use a captured MG42 instead of the Bren. As much as  I love the old Bren, I still cannot understand WHY anyone would fit a 30rng box mad to a LMG..

Kit - Only an engineer would ask a question like that wouldn't you????

Is it me or does that entire turret look like it's off of german armoured car????
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

Quote from: lancer on April 02, 2012, 01:48:37 PM

Kit - Only an engineer would ask a question like that wouldn't you????

Yes, especially one who's lived in Berlin for while, and working for the German branch of a US company. We had test systems with all THREE thread standards on the same rig, so nothing would surprise me about an ex-Wehrmacht machine gun mounted in a Brit armoured car!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Is it me or does that entire turret look like it's off of german armoured car????

There is something odd with that turret, it dosen't appear to be part of the origional photograph. Looks to have a slightly different perspective or slightly out of focus ? Or do I need new specs ?

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 01, 2012, 06:41:22 PM
Now..... What if more captured German weapons were used to arm Allied vehicles due to critical shortages of materials & to utilise large caches of captured weapons & munitions? :blink:

Happened all the time in the Med and N Africa. My dad's destroyer mounted some light Italian AA guns which had been exchanged with some Aussies for various stores (including rum  :drink:). Then when they went out East they managed to get hold of some US stuff via the we have alcohol you have something we'd like barter system  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

318 Sqn in Italy bought their ex-Croation Bf-109G10 from an American Sergeant for bottles of whisky  :drink: Superb photo though.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

grumpybadger

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 03, 2012, 06:28:43 AM

There is something odd with that turret, it dosen't appear to be part of the origional photograph. Looks to have a slightly different perspective or slightly out of focus ? Or do I need new specs ?

No, it might be your specs  ;)  it definitely looks like a standard turret.

NARSES2

Quote from: grumpybadger on April 06, 2012, 11:08:54 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 03, 2012, 06:28:43 AM

No, it might be your specs  ;)  it definitely looks like a standard turret.

Cheers mate  :thumbsup: Some of the lads know just how thick my specs are  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I was thinking as more of a factory-fit job (as this pic seems to show) rather than a field mod but.....

And, Narses2, as it's an Imperial War Museum photo I doubt it's been photo-shopped.... Still, one never knows, I guess.

(Something like being picked on by grumpy badgers & old wombats..... ;) )

kitnut617

I immediately saw the MG42 before I read the text, but if this is a Brit vehicle, with what looks like Brit crew members, why does it have a US Army star on the side ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 08, 2012, 09:25:32 AM
I immediately saw the MG42 before I read the text, but if this is a Brit vehicle, with what looks like Brit crew members, why does it have a US Army star on the side ?

Because Americans had a tendency to shoot anything that didn't have an American star on it :rolleyes: , so the rest of us decided it was safer if we just pretended to be Yanks. ;D