Revell 1/24 AEC Routemaster concepts

Started by McColm, April 02, 2012, 10:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

It's at moments like this that I realise just how old I am - I can remember them doing that on TV dressed in full evening attire  :blink: Those were the days when the BBC had standards of course  :rolleyes: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Perhaps by "six wheeler" they're referring to the fact that it had double wheels on the back axle. I know when I was small and vehicle spotting I used to have endless arguments with my dad about whether double wheels on one axle counted as one or two. He used to refer to a 3-axle truck with double-wheels on the back pair as a "ten wheeler" and this seemed to be quite common.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Leyland Cub C bus with Park Royal bodywork. Apparently, some of these were used as control vehicles by the Fire Service:

There are models of it too:

Info: http://www.countrybus.org/C/Cub.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

You could use the top deck for a cinema .

martinbayer

Quote from: Weaver on April 21, 2013, 06:44:53 AM
Perhaps by "six wheeler" they're referring to the fact that it had double wheels on the back axle. I know when I was small and vehicle spotting I used to have endless arguments with my dad about whether double wheels on one axle counted as one or two. He used to refer to a 3-axle truck with double-wheels on the back pair as a "ten wheeler" and this seemed to be quite common.

In the US it's standard to count all individual wheels on trucks, hence the name Eighteen Wheeler for tractor-trailer trucks with five axles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-trailer_truck

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

I never realised they were that old. My earliest memories of London Transport would have been RT's I would have put money on RM's being a 60's thing. I do remember how "modern" RM's looked compared to RT's.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Don't forget the RLs, the Leyland engined versions. You could tell them by the extra smoke and more noise.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Apparently today is the anniversary of the unveiling of the prototype, according to wiki they entered service with London Transport in February 1956.  Only four prototypes operated until 1958 and I'm guessing it took a little while to build up a fleet, so I'm guessing that's why you remember them more from the 60's Chris?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 24, 2014, 07:26:46 AM
You could tell them by the extra smoke and more noise.  ;D

How very Leyland LOL
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on September 24, 2014, 08:42:12 AM
Apparently today is the anniversary of the unveiling of the prototype, according to wiki they entered service with London Transport in February 1956.  Only four prototypes operated until 1958 and I'm guessing it took a little while to build up a fleet, so I'm guessing that's why you remember them more from the 60's Chris?

Cheers Mossie, memory isn't going as quickly as I thought  ;D

McColm

Had my first bus ride on the new Routemaster route 9. The outside looks big and the inside looks small. It tries to keep the old style bus pleasing to the eye. The roof lighting is suttle and the wrap-around upper windows are a clever idea. Apart from the heater there isn't any noise.