Revell 1/24 AEC Routemaster concepts

Started by McColm, April 02, 2012, 10:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

My first thought is to buy two kits and turn them into a Routemaster bendy-bus keeping the upper and lower decks. I could use a similar system as used on after market kits for the flexi-curtain on model railway carriages or scratch build the connection.

Then the idea of the "Knight bus" as used in the Harry Potter films. Okay its a different model to the one they used, but a three tier version painted purple might do the trick.

"Honest John's car lot" could do with a car transporter. This would mean loosing the upper deck and adding a suitable ramp or scratch building a hydraulic ramp.

I was in Sainsbury's near Victoria railway station last night and picked up a Hot Wheels diecast low flow city works customised 1930's Arcade Greyhound Bus/Coach. Their version is styled with the roof curving downwards forming a hump and fishtail, with spats covering the rear wheels. If I lengthened the routemaster lower deck and added a second set of rear wheels, I could build my single deck version.

I've seen the new buses styled on the routemaster around Victoria, so a retro version is feasible.

McColm

There were real world what-ifs built before the main production started such as:
The single decker with closing rear doors.
Variuos front entrance with closing doors, front staircase. Rear engine and BEA had a shortened version with a trailer.
The Greenline buses had the twin headlights , the Routemaster was in service around the UK and abroad.

Hobbes

Race car transporters often have a second deck where cars can be parked, with an elevator platform on the back.

The bendy bus would be fun, it'd need a bigger engine though. Maybe a second engine driving the wheels of the rear section  ;D

Over here, old buses sometimes end up as campervans or hospitality units. Maybe add some slideout sections, a balcony etc.

Martin H

Well one Routemaster was converted into a tow truck..................

RM66 was converted by London transport and later sold on for further use

RM1368 was rebuilt as a single decker after being the victim of an arson attack.

And then there was the rear engined FRM-1 A one off prototype

The BEA front entrance coaches all ended up with LT as private hire coaches or driver trainers.
at least one, RMA20. Found it way to Glasgow.......

there was also an "export" version, a hybrid crossing an RMA with an RML.......called the RMF
They were sold to Northern Genral, who ran them around Tyneside. The only company other than London transport to buy new Routemasters.

the Revell kit is an RML the stretched version of the original RM class

The photo above is of RML2724

The standard RM didnt have the narrow windows in the middle of the passenger decks.

The photo above is RM16, one of the preproduction batch.

Yes they are all my own photos, I had an interest is buses as a kid  ;D

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Aircav

There's always the Triple decker off Harry Potter or a super short bus for those winding roads.  ;D

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

PR19_Kit

Is that shortie a Whiff, or RW?

I ask because when I lived in Weston-s-Mare in 1949 or so we had ultra-short buses to get around the tight bends on the hill on the north side of town where I lived. They also had 'Grannie Gears' to get up the hills too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Alvis 3.14159

One of my co-workers kept bugging me to buy it, and as an enticement, said I should put the "Spice Girls" in it.
I told him: "Don't be stupid! Nobody makes Spice Girls in 1/24 scale....Okay! I have Spice Girls figures in 1/24th, but I'm NOT putting them in it!"

I had totally forgotten I'd aquired those horrid figures years ago. I always planned to convert them into something less...skanky.

;)

Alvis Pi

McColm

Thanks for the pictures.
The single decker would make a great fire engine/tender.
The short wheelbase Routemaster was used by BA carry passengers to and from airports.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

philp

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on April 03, 2012, 06:13:48 PM
I always planned to convert them into something less...skanky.

Hey, what is wrong with skanky?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Quote from: Aircav on April 03, 2012, 02:49:42 PM
or a super short bus for those winding roads.  ;D

Hmm, this side of the pond the short bus has a completely different meaning.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

McColm

NARSES2

Well guys I used to know had a custom car club and customised a RM. Chopped it and did all sort of frightfull things to it
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Chop it proportionally to a single deck: have the roof where the  first floor used to be, and two narrow rows of windows. Bonus if you can put the body lower on the chassis as well.