Revell 1/24 AEC Routemaster concepts

Started by McColm, April 02, 2012, 10:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

The next "logical"  move from this is the armour plated dustbin lorry.  When they are at work, NOTHING gets past them............but for   all that,the local dustbinmen   in Carlisle are the most cheerful bunch you could ever hope to meet
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on July 31, 2012, 04:25:39 AM
The next "logical"  move from this is the armour plated dustbin lorry.  When they are at work, NOTHING gets past them............but for   all that,the local dustbinmen   in Carlisle are the most cheerful bunch you could ever hope to meet

You had to get that last bit in just in case any of them read this  :wacko: :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 31, 2012, 08:07:05 AM
Quote from: Rheged on July 31, 2012, 04:25:39 AM

You had to get that last bit in just in case any of them read this  :wacko: :rolleyes:

I'd have praised their cheerfulness even if I  knew for certain none of them would read this!

The other ways to hold up anyone advancing anywhere are the agricultural tractor with a great clugering machine on the back  or the  dreaded  Dorset Juggernaut...........a gert big herd of cows on the way to milking.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on August 04, 2012, 01:29:30 AM
Maybe a half track conversion. :tank:

For some of the roads round here it would be brilliant  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Diversion ? What diversion  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

raafif

you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

raafif

continuation of my story from the previous page ....

As in every war, a few songs became synonymous with that war .... for this "1st West War", while travelling across France, the song was "We're all going on a Summer Holiday", after the popular '60's movie.  On arrival several of the busses were apparently in good condition outside but a total shambles inside - seats torn, walls smashed even the non-slip flooring was ripped up in places.  It was eventually found that these vehicles had been used to transport the 5th Butlins Division and they had taken the "summer holiday" theme to heart and coupled it with the usual behaviour of UK football fans.  Now unfit for their intended use without a full rebuild, they remained at the Front & were assigned as "command" busses.  Hastily outfitted with map-tables, white-boards, desks & radio equipment on the top deck -- one even had a small "tower" added for use as an impromptu RAF landing-director vehicle for a Harrier squadron operating off the autobahn.

After their behaviour became public in newspapers in England, the 5th Butlins were to be disgraced & sent home under court-marshall for damaging these vehicles, however they distinguished themselves in action the next day against crack Soviet troops attacking their position -- chasing the Sovs back over 2 kms with cries of "Hidey Hi !, Hidey Ho ! We're going to give you a right thrashing, so off you go !".  Instead of disgrace, they returned to their Bognor Regis barracks as heros.

NARSES2

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Strangely a mate back in the 70's when I was a "serious" wargammer (ancients which is quite Wif in its own way *) had a modern scenario where all his British infantry battalions had been raised at football clubs so marched into battle under the club colours  :wacko: If I remember rightly it was the 1st Battalion Millwalls - Cold Blow Lane End battalion - you really had to watch  :wacko:

* You can really annoy serious ancients wargammers by saying it's all made up and fictional. After they've finished explaining how complicated the rules are etc and that they take note of all the historical minutia, just say "yea, and when exactly did Pharonic Egyptians come up against Normans ??"

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 05, 2012, 01:44:45 AM
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Strangely a mate back in the 70's when I was a "serious" wargammer (ancients which is quite Wif in its own way *) had a modern scenario where all his British infantry battalions had been raised at football clubs so marched into battle under the club colours  :wacko: If I remember rightly it was the 1st Battalion Millwalls - Cold Blow Lane End battalion - you really had to watch  :wacko:

* You can really annoy serious ancients wargammers by saying it's all made up and fictional. After they've finished explaining how complicated the rules are etc and that they take note of all the historical minutia, just say "yea, and when exactly did Pharonic Egyptians come up against Normans ??"

Oh, you really knew how to take your life into your hands, didn't you, mate?  Saying that to a WRG Ancient Gamer was certain suicide!  ;D ;D

I've always wanted to take the bloke who wrote WRG rules (Phil Barker?) out and put him into a primary school class and have a real tough nut teacher explain the rules of punctuation and grammar to him properly.    :cheers:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

raafif

a few nice alternate designs found on Goog ....

original styling from Leyland's Daimler studio ?

retro design ... I like the London Transport hubcaps ...

intermediate design between old & new ?

classy style ...

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on August 05, 2012, 02:57:19 AM
I've always wanted to take the bloke who wrote WRG rules (Phil Barker?) out and put him into a primary school class and have a real tough nut teacher explain the rules of punctuation and grammar to him properly.    :cheers:

I still use (when I wargame that is) WRG 4th edition  ;D

Met Phil a couple of times. He's a decent bloke.

Nice Routemaster designs there raafif. Particularly like the open cabin ? retro one  :thumbsup:

McColm

Thanks for those replies, that half track is brilliant!! :cheers:

raafif

Due to WW1, London was stripped of many of its busses for the duration.  The Zeppelin attacks on the capital city, though few, had had their effect on the civil population & there-after they didn't feel entirely safe & demanded better protection than the old B-Types had offered.  As, immediately after the war, there were many surplus tanks available, these were converted into armoured transport for the city ...

British "Decker" Landship ...

London Transport circa 1920 ... the first RouteMaster ...

Weaver

That's genius... ;D ;D ;D :bow:

I love the half-track too. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on August 09, 2012, 04:01:25 AM
That's genius... ;D ;D ;D :bow:

It is indeed  :bow: Particularly useful on some night bus routes I used as a teenager - some of them were the RM's predecessor RT's or RL's ?