Avro Lancaster AEW.III

Started by The Wooksta!, April 03, 2012, 05:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Finished in time for Huddersfield, so it could be handed to Martin for unveiling at Cosford.

This started out as a collection of bits gathered from various places.  A gash Lancaster from one of the guys on Britmodeller (Avro683 I think) which had the engines attached very firmly to the wings was the basis, but I used the Paragon mid upper turret blank and a lot of sanding to sort out the resulting hole.  The nose was a resin Lancastrian nose, fins are the A2Z Lincoln tail fins fitted to most late Lancasters.  The tail turret is one spare from a Hasegawa Lancaster kit and is the late/post war FN82 turret toting a pair of .50 cal machine guns.  I also fitted the Village Inn AGL which is spare in all the Hasegawa Lancs.  Props and aerials were nicked from a Revell Lanc, as was the fuel dump pipe but the wheels - Lincoln ones - are home cast copies of the Paragon ones.  Again, late Lancasters had Lincoln mainwheels.  I went for the post war scheme because this is what Lancasters would have worn had the war gone on another year or so - I have another two Lancasters in a similar scheme but as yet unfinished as The Plan aka The Alternate Spitfire have higher priority.

Idea came from a mate who mentioned an AEW Lancaster.  I saw the potential and saw it as a way to use up some of the Lancasters spares kicking about.  If and when I get round to writing a backstory, it'll tie in with The Plan.  And going with my own radio naming convention, this one is D-Dougal.

Pics courtesy Jim Bricknell aka JayBee.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Devilfish

Pellson

Impressive an oh so close to reality.. Five out of five!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Excellent Lee, it looked SERIOUSLY impressive looming over all the other stuff in our virtual hangar 3.  :thumbsup:

I loved the twin 0.5 tail turret, you don't often see them on Lanc models. Where did the radome come from though?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

It's the Aeroclub one from the Shackleton AEW conversion.  I had a spare one that was donated some time back.

I'd like to do another one or two, certainly one in a Navy scheme with BPF markings.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Mossie

Very nice Lee, good to see it in the flesh at Cosford.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Rat

Certainly looks a winner to me!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on April 03, 2012, 05:25:45 AM
Very nice Lee, good to see it in the flesh at Cosford.

Certainly is and was  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 03, 2012, 05:15:35 AM
I loved the twin 0.5 tail turret, you don't often see them on Lanc models.

Mainly because you can't get the FN82 tail turret, except in certain of the Hasegawa limited edition lancasters (Post war, Canadian Rescue and ASR boxings all have it though, and Lincoln tailfins).  It's on a Falcon set too, but not many modellers are happy using vacform bits.  I know I'm not...

I've an Airfix Lancaster tail turret I've modded to take a pair of spare Hasegawa .50s from one their Lancasters but the Lanc it'll eventually go on isn't finished.

Paragon did the Rose-Rice turret to go on the Lancaster, I've one or two of those sitting about somewhere.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

sequoiaranger

Good to see something multi-engined from you.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

McColm

TallEng

Now that is Nice :thumbsup: and I guess a "would have been" if the War had gone on much longer.
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

pyro-manic

That looks really good, I must say. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Modelling_Mushi

Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 03, 2012, 05:15:35 AM
I loved the twin 0.5 tail turret, you don't often see them on Lanc models.

Flightpath's Lincoln converson has it Kit but in vacuform, and I've found they will sell it separately too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike