Ultra Hornet

Started by Julhelm, April 04, 2012, 03:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julhelm

I posted this over at Secret Projects but figure you lot might like it too. The final goal here is a 3D Strike Fighters / MSFS plane so I figure it fits better here than in the profiles section. But anyway:

This is a concept I've been working on for fun lately. It's basically a very upscaled F-18 to fill the same 'Rapid Theater Strike" role as the F/B-23 concept, except carrier-based. So to this end it's scaled up, has a larger more swept wing and larger flaps and LERX to facilitate sustained M2+ performance yet still have acceptable approach speed and AoA for carrier landing. LO is obviously a concern so to this end the forward fuselage has chines, the inlets are routed to block view of the compressor faces, and it has an internal bay for ordnance. Initial sketches and conceptual color profiles below:

As you can see, it is substantially larger than the F-18E/F ever was. Of course on this sketch I'm still using the same puny F414 engines which have since made way for much larger F135 so the rear fuselage is a bit fatter on the final design.

A couple profiles still using the F414-size engines:

Interestingly, even though this is a huge plane compared to the F-18E/F, it was still really difficult to provide a bay that can handle multiple large weapons like GBU-24 or AGM-84. My design target was 3 x GBU-24 but this proved unfeasible so the final layout will use a 5.5m x 1m x 1m bay. Using Northrop-type vertical rack launchers, this bay can easily fit 2 x GBU-24, untold numbers of SDB's or for the fleet defense mission at least 8 x AIM-120C which should be more than enough for anyone's purposes. BTW I can't help but think the single-tail variant is more attractive. Probably less frontal/lower aspect RCS as well.

More pics to come...
On the bench:

Post-apocalyptic Beaufighter

PR19_Kit

Looks remarkably like an A-5 Vigilante.........  ;D

Lovely artwork nonetheless.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Yes, Vigilante replacement. I like it, it looks much better than the Hornet.

Maybe add a 4-seater for ECM/ESM to replace the Prowler?

perttime

Aha, an enlarged Hornet  :thumbsup:
My idea was to make a small air defence Hornette, with lots of original C Hornet parts but also some stealth features. Using just one F414 engine seemed to leave some space for missile bays. I also put a low-observable, axisymmetric thrust-vectoring nozzle on it, as was tested on an F-16 at some point.

(not to highjack the thread but here's the smallest version of my Super Hornette 3-view)

(link to a larger one)

Julhelm

Well the thing is missile bays are much larger than you think if you factor in the launch mechanism, door drive and ample clearance for the weapon. My big problem was that the inlet ducting would interfere with the bay unless I made it thin and deep since with LO you can not afford to have the compressor faces visible from the frontal aspect:

It's a fun little puzzle to do. It must have been easier in the 50's when you could just draw a straight tubular inlet and attach everything else to it.
On the bench:

perttime

You've got large weapons there too. Mine just handle some skinny missiles.

Looks like you have quite a bend in the inlet duct, a bit constricted too. How critical can air-flow in the duct be with turbine engines?

Julhelm

Not sure but the duct is rectangular in cross section all the way back to the engine so it should be about evenly matched in volume I guess.

On the bench:

craigdwpa

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 04, 2012, 03:04:12 AM
Looks remarkably like an A-5 Vigilante.........  ;D

Lovely artwork nonetheless.  :thumbsup:

I agree! wonder if i could combine a Vigi and a Super bug and get close  :unsure: future project!!!!
Life is tough! Life is tougher if your stupid!!!

Julhelm

I assume a 1/48 Superbug could work as a start for a 1/72 build.
On the bench:

perttime

You might need a Vigilante fuselage, or something similar, too.

craigdwpa

I was thinking 1/48 scale body. 1/72 scale front with chines added. 1/48 or 1/72 bug rear fuselage would have to compare and contrast. :rolleyes:

Captain Canada

Now that's neat ! Sure does resemble a Vigilante. From the profile view anyway.

Great work !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

utahbob

I was thinking the same when it comes to kit bashing this. 1/48 scale F/A-18F, 1/72 Vigilante, maybe a 1/72 raptor/F-22 for air inlets and nosecone. I was wondering about the landing gear: 1/72 or 1/48 scale from the Hornet?

craigdwpa

wow i am loving the kit bash ideas for this!!!! has my mind smoking!!!  :wacko:

craigdwpa

Can I get a view of the under side :unsure: