Ultra Hornet

Started by Julhelm, April 04, 2012, 03:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saintkatanalegacy

looks very nice and slick :thumbsup:
Ivylicious!™

utahbob

Would there be a sensor port looking forward as on the F-35?

kerick

F-18 meets Vigilante meets F-111.  Keep the cockpits as drawn and keep the twin tails just for coolness.  Widening the fuselage would give a bigger weapons bay and room for more fuel.  Always need more fuel.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Go4fun

Quote from: kerick on May 13, 2012, 10:39:48 AM
F-18 meets Vigilante meets F-111.  Keep the cockpits as drawn and keep the twin tails just for coolness.  Widening the fuselage would give a bigger weapons bay and room for more fuel.  Always need more fuel.
But wouldn't that require more wing area to support? I forget what the original mission was for this as seen by the modeler.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

perttime

More weight requires more area but fuselage can also be designed to create lift.

Integrated passive sensors (IR, optical, what else is there) sound like a good idea.

Caveman

Radio Frequency (RF) sensors can be passive as well, though they usually get referred to as part of Electronic Support Measures (ESM) kit. Some missile warning systems use UV to look for launch flashes (though they can also get set off by welders and ripples on lakes and ponds...).

You just need some uber broadband high gain receivers buried into the aircraft structure giving you a full EM-spectrum picture of the world. Probably need to be made from unobtanium but that can be mined from a passing comet...
secretprojects forum migrant

perttime

Quote from: Caveman on May 14, 2012, 04:48:07 AMYou just need some uber broadband high gain receivers buried into the aircraft structure giving you a full EM-spectrum picture of the world. Probably need to be made from unobtanium but that can be mined from a passing comet...
You dont think it's possible to make them out of eludium or wishalloy?

Mossie

Very nice, shades of the FB-23. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Julhelm

I'll see how much fuel I can fit in there. I'm pretty confident I can fit the tanks more or less the same way as the A-5, while keeping the tailfin tanks of the F-18. Should be enough along with IFR capability.
On the bench:

Post-apocalyptic Beaufighter

Caveman

Quote from: perttime on May 14, 2012, 05:00:57 AM
Quote from: Caveman on May 14, 2012, 04:48:07 AMYou just need some uber broadband high gain receivers buried into the aircraft structure giving you a full EM-spectrum picture of the world. Probably need to be made from unobtanium but that can be mined from a passing comet...

I have heard of people making them in their sheds of imposiblium or wtf'kium...

I would imagine that omfkingodium would work equally as well though
secretprojects forum migrant

Joe C-P

Quote from: Caveman on May 15, 2012, 02:34:15 PM
Quote from: perttime on May 14, 2012, 05:00:57 AM

I have heard of people making them in their sheds of imposiblium or wtf'kium...

I would imagine that omfkingodium would work equally as well though

Better to use upsidasium to reduce the energy needed to propel and lift the aircraft. And then to improve the stealth of your attack, arm the aircraft with bombs filled with hush-a-boom.

(Nuthin' up my sleeve...)
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

utahbob

I am  planning to make an ultra hornet, but right now with F414 engines from a F/A-18E. I was thinking of using a F-35, but hard to find one in 1/72 or 1/48 scale, for F-135 engine cans and the forward/bottom sensor window. Over at secretproject.co.uk a version of it with F-135 engines was posted: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14834.msg156144.html#msg156144

Julhelm

I went and did a bit of a redesign of this concept some time ago but forgot to post here. The biggest change is the internal bay has now been substituted for a semi-recessed weapons bay pod underneath so they could conceivably be switched out for different mission modules.

Old:

New:

Your mileage may vary.
On the bench:

Post-apocalyptic Beaufighter

KeiichiRX7

I love the Low Observable Angle Nozzles.  Nice touch.