Easter Egg Plane

Started by Alvis 3.14159, April 08, 2012, 04:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis 3.14159

Her's what I've been hammering away at the last week of so, just in time for Easter Sunday (Well, my time zone anyhow!)

Alvis 3.14159

It's a little known entrant in the 1940 Cleveland Air races...

Alvis Pi

Ed S

Eggselent. Did you make custom decals for this one?

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Alvis 3.14159

Yup. Testors Decal paper and my inkjet printer. The red areas were masked and painted.

Alvis Pi

ChernayaAkula

Nice one!  :thumbsup:
Is that a great-granddaughter of old Peter Carl FabergĂ©? You can't always keep the kids in the family business. And if they do take off in another business, it's good to see them keep up family traditions.  ;D
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

Outstanding!  ;D :thumbsup: :bow:

I feel a rash of 'egg' yokes coming on.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Modelling_Mushi

Alvis, thats an eggcelent build, no yolk about it, and a touch henchanting too!
Ciao
Andrew
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

NARSES2

Superb a real Alvis special  :bow: :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Modelling_Mushi on April 09, 2012, 02:29:17 AM
Alvis, thats an eggcelent build, no yolk about it, and a touch henchanting too!

Told you............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Alvis 3.14159

Here's the story:

The 1940 Cleveland Air Races, truly an epic event in airplane racing. While there had been rumblings of war in Europe in 1938, a series of strange accidents took out all the key players behind the push to war, and things reverted to their normal routine in short order. One unexpected turn was the sudden arrival of European entrants into the American Air Race circuit. It almost seemd that without a shooting war to prove their superiority, countries took up air racing as a less destructive pasttime. Whatever the reason, we were graced with some amazing, strange and weird planes for the 1940 race.

The strangely weird yet almost elegant entrant from the Ukrainian Republic was the Guba-Belenko Yaytse. Based on the GB Racer family, it sported an enormous Shvetzov 8 row radial engine, of approximately 3500 HP, in a streamlined fuselage. The wings and empennage were almost direct copies from the GBs, something denied by the chief designers at Guba-Belenko. The design was maximised for acceleration and speed, at the expense of visibility and maneuvering.

The upcoming young female pilot, Lydia Litvyak, was loaned by the Russian Racing Team to the Ukrainian team, as she was small enough to fit in the amazingly small cockpit. Every available space in the plane had been crammed with fuel to feed the very hungry engine, and the resultingly small cockpit precluded most male pilots. She set several straight line records in Europe before arriving in the US for the Cleveland race.

Crowds were amazed to see the unique paint scheme for the GB-Y racer. Based on traditional Pysankies, or Ukrainian Easter Eggs, it was both delicate yet detailed. Lydia Litvyak wore a traditional costume, although she flew in the male garb, but often wore the female dress at social events and the post race awards ceremony. The GB-Y was assigned#11 for the race.

The race itself, as we all know, was one of the most carnage-filled races in the Golden Era. British and French pilots squared off against the Italian and Germans, almost as if they'd been waiting to have the fight denied them 2 years earlier. While the American and Brazilian pilots frantically dodged the melee, the Europeans rammed and clipped wings left and right, until there were few planes left in the air. And coming up the middle of it all, in her flying egg, Lydia Litvyak tore through it like a hot knife through butter. Barrel-rolling to be able to see in front of her, she expertly judged the turns by looking out her side windows, then turning when the pylon was likely in the right position. Nobody was able to hit her in the air, as she was constantly jinking and weaving just to maintain forward visibility. Her straight line acceleration was phenominal, and the massive fuselage drag slowed her abruptly for the turns. Nobody could keep up with her, although John Thatch in the Grumman entry gave her a run for her money with his weaving style of flying.

In the end, Litvyak came in first, followed by Thatch, and Britains' Douglas Bader. After the awards ceremony, several fistfights had to be broken up between disgruntled pilots whose planes had been knocked out of the running. The winning plane, the GB-Y, is still preserved in Kiev at the National Racing Museum.

Alvis 3.1

TallEng

That's not fair :angry: Not only can Alvis make exceedingly good models, He also writes extremely good stories :bow:

Makes you wonder what the other contestants were flying, doesn't it?  :wacko:

Regards
Keith(talented in neither of the above)
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

The Rat

Another instant classic! I'm sure most of us wish we had your talent and eyesight when it comes to painting figures, they make good models even better.  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

CANSO

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on April 11, 2012, 07:37:19 AM
...The winning plane, the GB-Y, is still preserved in Kiev at the National Racing Museum...
Is it possible that they moved this beautiful object to the State Aviation Museum, near the Kiev Airport (I think its name was Julianij :rolleyes:)? I visited Kiev in 2011 and made some photos, but the weather was not very good for photo sessions, so this is the only one I can post as a proof:

It could be a replica though...

Weaver

HA! Another superb sorry, eggstrordinary job!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones