De Havilland Fireball

Started by pyro-manic, April 11, 2012, 04:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Daryl J.

gofy

Which kits (scale, manufacturer etc) :unsure:

I LOOOOOOOOVE this build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub:
In my opinion, British, Canadian, or USAF markings make things look so much better...

Captain Canada

Imagine....Pyro building a Fireball  :thumbsup:

That thing does look right....looking forward to seeing where you take it.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

NIce, although I'd use leading edge radiators to sort out the wings from where the nacelles were.  In addition, I'd move the cockpit about a cm further forward.  Pilot view over the nose would be horrendous.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TallEng

WOW! That looks promising, Lets see now DH88 Comet, and a Merlin up front, long pointy wings,
= High Altitude, or record breaking long range flight? who knows....
Can't wait to see what happens next :thumbsup:

(looks like the holes for the engine nacelles will make mighty fine radiator inlets, And cockpits on Merlin engined Aircraft are always too far back! ;D)

Regards
Keith(wishing he'd thought of 'that', what ever 'that' will be)
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

The Wooksta!

I've a Novo one that I was planning on doing as a PR machine at some stage.  Although on reflection, the Frog one was always the better kit, so it may be better to use an Airfix one and keep the nice new decals for the Novo kit.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

JayBee

Now this I am realy looking forward to.
Do not keep us waiting too long Alun.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

We've seen a few single engined aircraft whiffed into twins before now, but I don't think we've seen the opposite.

Radical, and good thinking. Looking forward to the final result.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Thanks, everyone - I will try not to disappoint! The nacelle "stumps" will indeed be turned into radiators, and the over-the-nose view will hopefully not be too bad, as the new landing gear will be a bit shorter so it's "stance" will not be so nose-high.

The Wooksta!

Your u/c stance and height is dictated by the prop arc - when the tail liftson take off, you don't want to be pecking the ground. Witness the number of Seafires written off by doing just that on landing and take off.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

pyro-manic

Yep. But though the Spit prop is much bigger, it's mounted higher up, so there's a tiny bit more clearance compared to the original props. Means the u/c can be a tiny bit shorter. It's not a huge amount, but it will help.

And now that I think about it, I have one of the undersized props from the new Airfix Hurricane II around somewhere - I might try that and see how it looks, to give me a bit more leeway...

kitbasher

Pics of my dH Dolphin as seen at Telford to follow.  A Merlin Comet can be done, chaps.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter