The Radish Blog

Started by Radish, April 16, 2012, 05:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Heard today of the sad news of a smashing friend, a highly productive and high quality modeller from Finland, Raimo Reino from Helsinki. Quite young, compared to ancient me anyway. Among other things, I was always impressed by how he could finish a beautifully built, painted and rigged Revell 1/28 SPAD XIII in a matter of a few days!! He made lots of aircraft of all scales, his recent Airfix 1/72 Beaufighter in Finnish What If? colours was exceptional. He was also a keen Aston Villa supporter.
His death was sudden, a couple of days after a heart attack. He will be sadly missed by myself and very many others from across the world.
My latest Star Wars "modification" was due to be completed in Gulf War RAF "Desert Storm" colours, but in the hours after Raimo's passing, I've decided to finish it as an Armstrong-Whitworth "Raimo" in a Finnish scheme. Soon, too.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

NARSES2

Sad news indeed Rad.

Nice tribute you have planed  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Cheers, Chris. Finished a few bits and hopefully "prime" it tomorrow. Sorted the decals already too.

Pellson

It seems too many of us aren't in the health we would like to be, neither me nor many others. But I would like to emphasise that while we live, we must try to live in a good and fulfilling way. A part of that, for me, is this. To give my creativity a way to manifest itself among likes. That's awesome, and when I eventually leave, I will do so knowing that I didn't deny myself to play. And I think that's something to be proud of.

Not knowing your Finnish friend, I'm nevertheless sorry for your loss - and pretty sure he would have appreciated the whif you're building in his honour.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Radish

Thanks.
While sorting for some stuff going to the charity shop, I've blocked access to most of my paints (very poor planning I've blamed my wife for as she keeps distracting me with questions!!)
Anyway, with dreadful weather I've not been able to prime the Starwars "Raimo", but I've got the necessary paints already on my desk to paint the 1/48 Spitfire PR.VII already primed!! So if I'm not diverted from my desk by good weather (and cutting an overgrown lawn), I can settle down to paint the Spitfire. Current plans are that it'll be flown by the YRAF.....the Yorkshire Republic Air Force. :wacko:

NARSES2

Quote from: Radish on May 15, 2021, 01:08:40 PM
Thanks.
While sorting for some stuff going to the charity shop, I've blocked access to most of my paints (very poor planning I've blamed my wife for as she keeps distracting me with questions!!)

You could take Mid to the charity shop  :angel: ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

If you get good weather still paint the model and say that instead of mowing the lawn you have decided to grow a jungle for the cats

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on May 16, 2021, 10:01:27 AM
If you get good weather still paint the model and say that instead of mowing the lawn you have decided to grow a jungle for the cats

Gondor

It's  ecologically a very sound procedure to reduce the frequency of lawn mowing. NO-mow May is widely supported and would seem to give you a good reason not to get the mower out.

For goodness sake DON'T take your good lady to charity shops, she will find more items to bring home than you take in!!  Madame Rheged is a keen bargain hunter in antique and charity shops, and I suspect that Mid is too.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Pellson

Quote from: Rheged on May 16, 2021, 10:28:35 AM
Quote from: Gondor on May 16, 2021, 10:01:27 AM

Gondor

It's  ecologically a very sound procedure to reduce the frequency of lawn mowing. NO-mow May is widely supported and would seem to give you a good reason not to get the mower out.

For goodness sake DON'T take your good lady to charity shops, she will find more items to bring home than you take in!!  Madame Rheged is a keen bargain hunter in antique and charity shops, and I suspect that Mid is too.

I wholeheartedly support this conclusion.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Radish

All good ideas, but I've knackered my back picking something up so it's rather painful to bend, mow the lawn or even sit. Happened 3 days ago but slowly improving. Lawn mowing is GONE for a week or so at least, and the weather is my friend. ;D

NARSES2

Sorry to hear about the back Rad, but does Mid' believe you ?  :angel:

Rheged

Much sympathy!   Get well quickly enough to feel better and slowly enough to enjoy being looked after.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Radish

Ha ha!!
The back is slowly improving, but she's left me to help out her travel buddy prepare for some modifications to the indoor of her house. Dropped her off early this morning....collect early Sunday. So until then I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
Off to wash up soon. :banghead:

NARSES2

Quote from: Radish on May 19, 2021, 11:07:03 AM

Off to wash up soon. :banghead:

If you're free until Sunday it begs the question ; why ?  ;)

Radish

"Free" means zero conversations, my own timetable and zero waiting around.