1/72 Me 646 Hummingbird Reconnaissance Version

Started by The Big Gimper, April 17, 2012, 06:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Gimper

Folks:

Here is my PM Me P.1111 productized as the Me 646 Kolibri Red 10 Aufklärung.

I started with the base Me P.1111, added the RB **/30 camera in 1/2 of a modified fuel tank. Due to the larger wheels (modified Me 262) used to support landings in forward strips, drop tanks were used to compensate for the loss of internal tankage.

It is a tail sitter so I used an official RLM 5mm nut as a tail support.

Other than the canopy, fuselage and tail, the kit is ugly. The Me 262 bits saved the day.

I used the landing gear, tanks from a Revell Me262. Camera is from a DML AR-234C. Eduard pre-painted seatbelts. Paint is Tamiya spray bombs. Decals are from the Me 262, black strips and an Aeromaster FW-190 sheet.

Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sequoiaranger

Looks cute and fast!

"Kolibri", the German word for "hummingbird", was already used (appropriately enough) for their little Flettner Fl 282 helicopter.

In German, the common "Swift" is "Mauersegler", if that might be a good name for it!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

matrixone

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

Very sleek looking, specially in that colour scheme.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Big Gimper

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 17, 2012, 10:58:07 AM
Very sleek looking, specially in that colour scheme.  :thumbsup:

Thanks. I'm not comfortable yet doing the splinter camo so I thought a Licht Blau with a Der Weihnachtsmann nose would be sufficient ;D :rolleyes:

Lots of stuff

dumaniac

Cobra

Superb Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Love the Color Scheme & the Decal work :cheers: :cheers: Hope to see more Superb Projects from You! Dan

Allan

and the result is very deft modelling loveliness
where you could put the weight to prevent it becoming a tail-sitter?
superb modelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Allan

RussC

Nice build, I'll go with the group on the color scheme, perfect !  :thumbsup:

One nit to pick : We take our position as the Crazy-Train of modelmaking very seriously (the only thing we do take seriously - btw).

If using a nut to prop up a tailsitter- it should reflect our position in the hobby world - - -Use a Wing-Nut , please !  ;D ;D ;D ;)
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

The Big Gimper

Thanks for all the positive comments.

I attribute this paint scheme to being lazy, not artistic.  :rolleyes:  Since all my Allied PR aircraft are uniform in colour, I figured the RLM would go the same route.

Allan: There is not enough room not even a gram of weight in the nose. However I will build an "official RLM qualified" tail support.
Russ: Good catch. Wing-nut it is for next time.

I just bought the Revell Go 229 so there will be big brother in the works.

Carl

Lots of stuff

PR19_Kit

Sometimes a crew ladder makes for a good tail prop, positioned like the one on a P-38 so the pilot boards over the trailing edge of the wing.

Of course in Whiffworld we can easily arrange such things........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RussC

One good fix for a tail-heavy model is to display a towing bar on the nose wheel, a nice heavy one, or in the case of this one - Use A Kettenkrad to hold it down.

GO-229 !  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Looking forward to that!
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

dumaniac

Allan

I am fairly certain I have this kit and its not a tail sitter.  I built it ages ago but I seem to recall I lined the cockpit to stop the see-through effect into the air intakes.  I use shotgun pellets for weights - they fit into tiny spots (one cartridge lasts lots of models).  I think I used pellets in the remainder of the nose and then forward of the main gear in the wings.  Use aquahere or superglue - if you use plastic glue, you can get deformation in the outer skin. 

good luck - cheers

Bernie