Kitbasher's blog: Too many ideas, not enough time.....

Started by kitbasher, April 18, 2012, 07:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Tony was taken ill last year at SMW, and it seems he's still on the mend. Also business has not been so good of late, so he and Jan are quitting while they're still ahead.
All is not entirely lost as they will in the new year be operating in new pemises selling mostly books but also some kits. Meanwhile their sale continues.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Meanwhile on a happier note, whilst at Glasgow airport this evening I ate a Christmasburger.

Yep, made of Christmas.

Assuming Christmas consists of adding cranberry sauce to everything on the menu!
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Captain Canada

Made of Christmas....that's funny !

Sorry to hear that your LHS is closing...I dread the day that happens here.

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Hurrah!

Crimbo visitors all gone.

Modelling room is mine again!!

And the farewell tour of TAHS began this morning.

Finally Christmas has arrived!!!

Captain Canada

Celebrate Christmas by getting over Christmas ? I like the idea !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 27, 2013, 09:08:44 PM
Celebrate Christmas by getting over Christmas ? I like the idea !

It's like mindedness such as this that helps forge the bond that ties our two great nations.

Were you affected by last week's ice storm, Captain?

kitbasher

And so to The Aviation Hobby Shop for the very last time today.  End of an era (but see the news at http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,38194.msg623572.html#msg623572).

Got some paints, glue and filler.

And a Kopro Avia S-199.  A really obvious (to me at least) whif that has been bugging me is to Luft '46 an S-199 (Bf109J (for Jumo - I believe however that the designation was originally assigned to the batch destined for Spain that eventually grew into Buchons).  But having got it home I came round to the idea of building it OOB.

kitbasher

Just put my modelling stuff away for the last time this year.

2013 modelling high points? The continuing resurgence of Airfix; actually getting some models finished; this forum.
2013 modelling low points? Not getting all of my current builds finished; being distracted by new builds mid way through partial builds; Modelzone closing down; farewell to TAHS.

2014 promises? Finish off current builds (some now actually getting close to completion!) before starting new projects; limit stash growth to Airfix Lightning F.6 and both Blenheims; build more from the stash; speed up builds.

And on that note may I wish you all a very safe, happy and prosperous 2014, wherever you are in the world.

kitbasher

So into Central Olde London Towne yesterday to be a tourist for a couple of days. Absolutely rammed on the Embankment for the fireworks but everyone in good spirits.
Different start to a new year this morning: going to breakfast and squashed in a lift with a dozen cheerleaders!

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on January 01, 2014, 03:19:03 AM

Different start to a new year this morning: going to breakfast and squashed in a lift with a dozen cheerleaders!

Good Lord sir, that took some planning  :bow: All that RAF training put to good use  :rolleyes:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Happened again later in the day.  Warm and dry the first tmie, cold and damp the second.

Seems that all of the New Year's Day Parade cheerleaders were in the The Tower Hotel.  And they were all Americans.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitbasher on December 30, 2013, 01:29:27 PM
And a Kopro Avia S-199.  A really obvious (to me at least) whif that has been bugging me is to Luft '46 an S-199 (Bf109J (for Jumo - I believe however that the designation was originally assigned to the batch destined for Spain that eventually grew into Buchons).  But having got it home I came round to the idea of building it OOB.

It's an idea I've been pushing for a while - older or rebuilt airframes refitted with Jumo 211s (or 213s as it's externally similar to the 211) and given to the training schools. Call it the Bf 109L.

If you can fly a Mezec, a Gustav or Kurfurst wouldn't be much of a problem.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Finally.  The first modelling session of the year (apart from doing some research for future builds - assuming that counts as modelling).

Brought two in-builds closer to completion (all will be revealed).  Also broke the Modeller's Prime Directive (every year's New Year's modelling resolution) of starting a new build before finishing off all of the part-builds that are squirrelled away here and here.  Still, it's not the first time, won't be the last time and it's the rule of modelling we're all guilty of breaking.  And I enjoyed myself, which is the key thing.

The new build BTW is the Maquette Su-25 I bought for the anthonyp memorial build.  Can't find any reviews of it on the web.  No matter, it's an odd kit; simplistic kit moulded in quite brittle plastic (quite crude in some respects (and by current standards), with very fine raised panel lines.  Can't vouch for its accuracy (but I doubt it's that accurate); instructions are basic but the decal sheet, while small, looks OK.  Not that 'll be using it of course, as this is the basis of my Finnish Frogfoot.  So pretty fictitious in most respects I quess!   ;D ;D

kitbasher

Today I am mostly in Cologne.
Drinking Kolsch.

The place is swarming with Germans. Who'd have thought, eh?

An belated congrats to Canada for getting double gold in the hockey at the weekend. Top banter passing between me and my expat bro-in-law on Sunday.  He lives in Sweden (I was supporting Canada).

kitbasher

This year has so far been a right royal struggle as far as modelling has gone.  Inching ever closer to getting something finally finished - the first of this year - hopefully with a couple or three soon(ish) afterwards.

Losing my modelling man-cave (aka spare bedroom) to prodigal daughter and having far too much much on at work have conspired against me.  Not really enjoying modelling at the moment - need a quick build to get the juices flowing again.  A Kopro Avia S-199, a new-mould Airfix MiG-15 or an Airfix Il-28 see to be what I need for a bit of a kick start.  All real world (although I must admit a couple of real world Spitfires may be on the cards.  And then again I've got a Battle and a Val (both Airfix, both real world) to get out of the way so perhaps I won't start a new real world build until they are done.

Vowed not to start any new whifs until the several I've already got on the go are done.

Does a Cavalier Turbo Mustang in Dominican markings count as a whif?  I guess it must.