Kitbasher's blog: Too many ideas, not enough time.....

Started by kitbasher, April 18, 2012, 07:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Been making more time to get some modelling done since the last blog entry, although September has been a busy month away from modelling, and October will be just the same.

At least I've been making some progress with the BoB GB builds (more on which later).  Speaking of which, I had been considering a fourth build but as my GB completion-within-the-timeframe record isn't exactly the best I think I may save that for another day.  Especially as it requires some nose and rudder surgery to make it more, let's say, 'Armstrong-Whitworthy'.  At least deciding on the scope of that build has led me to decide the scope of a 'Handley-Pagisation' of a non-British design into something that will retain much more of its original lines (but with a touch of Britishness added) and is a less radical whif.

UPDATE Oh, and finally decided on how to finish off a PM Ta154 that's been languishing in the 'in progress' draw for over a year.  Had first planned it to be a 'Miles Monitor' (inspired by the vague similarity with the Miles Martinet), a Flet Air Arm fighter used in the Pacific.  Would require new engines and was continuously changing ideas about the source of these - some form of Merlin with leading edge radiators.  Then thought about shifting the timeline a bit and fitting Darts plus either a raised cockpit or side-by-side seating using a Matchbox Hunter T7 cockpit and canopy.  All sorts of ideas really, until finally deciding upon something closer to the real 154.  Way down the list of builds at the moment, although it could climb the progress ladder!

UPDATE 2 I'd even considered a 'scalorama' airliner build - in some respects the Ta154's shape reminds me of the HP Herald.  Once again getting the engines right was a niggle.

Anyway, knife, filler and wet-and-dry paper beckon.....
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 25, 2015, 07:25:07 AM
You must be related to Dizzy................  ;D

Yeah, right.  So while he has 20 on the go at any one time and gets them done in a week, I may have 10 on the go and they take over a year to do!

Meanwhile.....

A trip to the fairly nearby de Havilland Museum where this weekend they are celebrating the 75th anniversary of the first flight of the De Havilland Mosquito.  Designed in next door Salisbury Hall, built on the sight of the museum and then transported by road to nearby Hatfield for the flight:

and where I leave with a half-price Special Hobby Hornet F3/F4 and 99% certain I'll be signing up as a volunteer at the museum.

More pics to follow.

kitbasher

And here are the pictures as promised.  

Great use of the Trident baggage hold - and a Comet cockpit that looks like a 1930s Belgravia gentlemen's club than an airliner cockpit!

The site is rather tiny, all run by volunteers.  Not the palace of treasures that is the RAF Museum but rather a little gem of a place where you can get really close to (and occasionally in) the aircraft.  Feels organic - stick your head inside one of the open Mosquito hatches (or an engine mount) to get a lung full of that curious but heady mix of fuel, rubber and hint of smoke that  you won't get at Hendon.

The museum (http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/) is appealing for support to build a second hangar on the site to house the external exhibits - work begins next year (http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/product/new-hangar-donation/).

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Martin H

I once sat in the cockpit of the mossi prototype. Its as near to a religious experience as I'm ever likely to get.

I had been invited to the museum by the former owner of the firm I work for. he was there with his vintage car club, And he knew id love the place hence the Invite. He gave up his own chance to sit in the prototype so I could go. Thanks Big Al!
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Having been there a few times I can almost SMELL those pics Dave, great work.

And green with envy over you having sat in W4050 OGL, that's got to have been a very memorable experience.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

All rather rushed in the end but actually managed to supply what I committed to the BoB Group Build.  Here are the final two just finished:

Many thanks to the Mods for the one week extension.

So no new builds over Crimbo (tempted but must resist).  Aim instead to finish off as many part builds as time will allow.

NARSES2

Yup, I want to finish a couple of things before starting the next couple
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Well, 2016 looms ever closer (hell, I'm still catching up with 2014!).  In modelling terms 2015 was better than 2014 - even so I completed only 5 x whif and 1 x real-world builds:

All OOB apart from the obvious mods.

New Year's resolution (again!) is to finish off part builds (whifs and real worlds) before starting something new.  OK the Corsair rhinoplasty doesn't quite fit that bill as it's one of several builds I want to recycle to varying extents.

Final post of this year so may I wish you all and your families and friends a happy, safe and prosperous 2016.  May the modelling force be with you!

NARSES2

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet