Kitbasher's blog: Too many ideas, not enough time.....

Started by kitbasher, April 18, 2012, 07:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Quote from: kitbasher on March 23, 2014, 08:43:49 AM
Does a Cavalier Turbo Mustang in Dominican markings count as a whif? 

Oh yes indeedy.  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitbasher

So at last, something finished this year (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,38729.msg635773/topicseen.html#new)!  
My third Flitzer whif (although only two kits actually built).  The first, a Swedish Air Force 'Focke-Wulf J28 Flyga':

morphed into A Swiss Air Force 'Venom FB.4':

Sorely tempted to do yet another Flitzer - this time either in early Vampire F.1 colours (Ocean Grey, Dark Green, Medium Sea Grey) or the later Medium Sea Grey and PRU underside scheme.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Oh that looks nice and neat as a true denizen of Switzerland should  :thumbsup:

As for the prospective colour schemes, it has to be MSG/PRU Blue  :wub:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

THE LONGEST DAY - D-DAY 70TH ANNIVERSARY
The latest edition of Flypast magazine (http://www.flypast.com/view_issue.asp) includes an article about the lead aircraft on 550 Sqn's mission to bomb gun emplacements on the Cherbourg Peninsula on the night of 5/6 June 10944 - these were the first Allied bombers over the Normandy beaches on D-Day.  
Just behind the aircraft that is the subject of the article was my Uncle Billl, flying in Lancaster PA991 (BQ-E) .  His pilot was Flight Officer G P Fauman, a USAAF exchange pilot and Bill's pilot for the whole of their tour on 550 Sqn (see the extract from Bill's log book at http://www.550squadronassociation.org.uk/documents/public/Lancasters-Crews/FOGPFauman/LogBooks/WilliamAlexanderDrakeRAFLogBook.pdf).  
Fauman was a rarity – an exchanged NCO pilot who was a Sergeant (later Tech Sgt) during his RAF bomber training and ops.
I eventually acquired Bill's copy of the photo of the painting of 'Bad Penny II' and it now resides in the 11 Group bunker (http://www.raf.mod.uk/battleofbritainbunker/) on the site of the former RAF Uxbridge.  It may of course not be on current display, but it's there.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Thanks Chris.

When writing that last post I got to thinking about the film, 'The Longest Day', in which Richard Burton's character is billed as 'Flight Officer David Campbel.'  Well of course this should have said 'Flying Officer David Campbel'; some internet 'film blooper' sites claim that the WAAF rank of Flight Officer was erroneously used.  This is in itself a blooper, as a flight officer was the equivalent of the RAF flight lieutenant (Section Officer being the WAAF equivalent of flying officer).
So did the film's researchers use the old USAAF rank of flight officer (akin to Warrant Officer - or RAF Master Aircrew) by mistake?

kitbasher

So, yesterday.  Number 1 son married off at last.  Will change all the locks in the house later today.

Couldn't have planned this better, but just as people were making their way to the church what should they be treated to but a very nice, low BBMF flypast!

Well OK not a flypast as such but the Lancaster plus 2 Spits recovering to Northolt after the Trooping of the Colour.  Still went straight over the top of our house, though.  My half-Swedish nephew was mega-impressed!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on June 15, 2014, 03:21:37 AM
So, yesterday.  Number 1 son married off at last.  Will change all the locks in the house later today.

Couldn't have planned this better, but just as people were making their way to the church what should they be treated to but a very nice, low BBMF flypast!

Well OK not a flypast as such but the Lancaster plus 2 Spits recovering to Northolt after the Trooping of the Colour.  Still went straight over the top of our house, though.  My half-Swedish nephew was mega-impressed!

I always knew you moved in higher circles Dave...........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

kitbasher

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 15, 2014, 04:22:35 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on June 15, 2014, 03:21:37 AM

I always knew you moved in higher circles Dave...........  ;D

Just to make it clear, the BBMF overflight was a pure coincidence.  Still impressive, mind!

And finally!!!  Real world project complete - son's 1:1 scale ex-bedroom redecorated.  Temporary modelling man cave (MMC) until daughter moves into it from former MMC, into which I can return and actually get some modelling done!

Several builds on the go - the Finnish Frogfoot is first priority (more or less built, PSR required before building can be completed), then the real world Battle and Val.  Several other whifs in progress and these will be chipped away at.  A few ideas bubbling under too.

NARSES2

What's your Battle build Dave ? I know it's real world but as I'm currently building a Wif version I'm interested as to what you have planned for her

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 22, 2014, 07:30:20 AM
What's your Battle build Dave ? I know it's real world but as I'm currently building a Wif version I'm interested as to what you have planned for her

Essentially OOB 63 Sqn option, Chris, with a bit of rhinoplasty courtesy of an OGL resin Merlin.  Also improving the profile of the rudder.  Kit decals to be used - may utilise the leftover Greek markings for the Hs123 I bought off you at Hendon.

I know the wing shape is wrong but basically as the kit was bought for a trip down memory lane/quick build (ha! that's a joke - started off that way then stalled - not much building to do though) I can live with the inaccuracy.

NARSES2

Right  :thumbsup: I was hoping to get a Belgian boxing but like you got the Greek option. Not sure where those markings will go, possibly a Do 17 ?

Like you I can live with whatever is wrong with it as it looks like a Battle to me

The Wooksta!

Might have the Belgian markings from the older kit somewhere.  I'll be doing some archaeology over the next few days so I may turn it up.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic