Kitbasher's blog: Too many ideas, not enough time.....

Started by kitbasher, April 18, 2012, 07:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

Keeper of George the Cat.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 07, 2021, 05:35:55 AM
Quote from: Howard of Effingham on March 06, 2021, 10:31:25 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 06, 2021, 06:12:19 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 06, 2021, 06:07:51 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 06, 2021, 05:36:49 AM

And here's me thinking I was the Board's tame statistician ?  ;D

Tame?  :o

I am house trained at least  :angel:

Debatable if my memory serves me well! ;)

Ah, but that was before I was trained  :angel:

Don't you have to get recertified every few years?  :wacko:

NARSES2

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on March 07, 2021, 09:00:00 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 07, 2021, 05:35:55 AM
Quote from: Howard of Effingham on March 06, 2021, 10:31:25 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 06, 2021, 06:12:19 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 06, 2021, 06:07:51 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 06, 2021, 05:36:49 AM

And here's me thinking I was the Board's tame statistician ?  ;D

Tame?  :o

I am house trained at least  :angel:

Debatable if my memory serves me well! ;)

Ah, but that was before I was trained  :angel:

Don't you have to get recertified every few years?  :wacko:

I couldn't possibly answer that  :angel:

Howard of Effingham

kitbasher

Aah, the vagaries of paint.  For some reason a couple of matt paints (one Humbrol, the other Revell (never been much of a fan of Revell paints)) have decided to have the consistency of yoghurt, despite adding enamel thinner to them.  It means gently rubbing the dried paint down with fine wet and dry paper and some extremely fine Micromesh before proceeding further.  Setbacks then with the Puffin and the P1067.

Speaking of the P1067, some help if possible, please.  There's conflicting info out there concerning the colour worn by WB188 on it's first flight; some say 'duck egg blue' (so akin to Humbrol 23), others say 'Sky'; the same colour was worn by the P1081.  Hard to tell from photos (many are B+W and of course lighting will make a difference).  Is it perhaps a case of 'duck egg blue' being used to describe 'Sky'?

Tempted at the moment to go with Sky, but if anyone knows for sure then a steer would be much appreciated.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on March 14, 2021, 03:09:21 PM

Is it perhaps a case of 'duck egg blue' being used to describe 'Sky'?

I think so.

Hawker always tended to paint their prototypes in that pale greeny shade, and Sky is as close as you'll get these days I reckon.

WB188 was definitely Sky when it flew at Farnborough as I commented on it to my Dad. I didn't reckon it was much good as a camo colour and Dad explained that it wasn't an RAF camo shade.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Well, with the Puffin out of the way the P.1067 becomes the focus of attention.  It's quite close to completion, tbh, just need to mask up and paint the framing of the replacement vacform canopy.  Cutting and fitting the canopy obviously follows that - need to carefully test fit to ensure fit is good against the Aeroclub bang seat. 

Markings will be a mix of stock roundels and fin flashes cut to size, but the serial numbers need to be mostly home made due to their style.  While I've enough 8" letters and numbers in the right style, there's nothing to hand for the underwing serials and I'm not buying a decal sheet just for them!  I've downloaded an appropriate font but for some reason it'll only create the W and 188 of serial WB188.  Head scratching moment.

All this means that masking up the CASA 2.217 moves into third place with a real-world Twin Otter hard on its heels (courtesy of OGL's generosity with a decal sheet).  Still building at a glacial pace (and all are catch-ups, no new starts yet this year) but good to get the pile of part builds slowly reduced ahead of GB season.  That said, I am itching to do a quick OOB real world and a 1/72 Airfix Spitfire F.22 keeps calling me!

kitbasher

A third of the year gone already and what's to show for it?

First of my anti-plague jabs, decorating the house, finally settling on a plan for the revamped garden, two grandsprogs, dined (in accordance with lockdown easing) at a restaurant for the first time in ages, close to booking seats to see Nomadland, became the last person on the planet to get into Schitt$ Creek and inching ever closer to completing the sale of my late Mum's house.

On the modelling front the possibility of a few shows between now and the end of the year is a welcome change to 2020, looking forward to catching up with fellow SIGgers.  Looking forward also to the start of the 2021/2022 GB season  :thumbsup:  I must say I was a tad disappointed the Old Kit/Bad Kit idea didn't make the cut - I have the kit ready so I may do my own 'Old Kit/Bad Kit Personal Build' later in the year.  Maybe 'Old Kit/Bad Kit' could be a standing 'Themed Build' theme?

As far as my NY resolutions are concerned I'm still plodding my way through part-builds - still not yet distracted by new planned and new impromptu builds (other than the Blue Lights GB efforts), the intended real-world Spitfire, Hunter and Shackleton AEW2 builds remain in the pending cupboard/pile.  I have a Cunning Plan for the Recce GB and am becoming increasingly tempted by the Pirates GB (not that I know what I may build).

Still doing my best not to add to the stash until some reductions have been made.  But I guess that resolution is broken courtesy of a birthday prezzie Airfix Beaufort and said speculative Old Kit/Bad Kit GB item (that'll teach me!).  Additionally acquired a Matchbox Lysander but that's offset by consignment of the Airfix Lysander to the stash reduction box.  The only other kits I'm tempted by are the impending Airfix Mosquito and the Special Hobby Meteor NFs (but can live without the Meteors until stash reduction box contents have been reduced).

Anyway, back to some 1/1 scale ceiling painting.....

kitbasher

NY pledge to not to increase stash ahead of a small reduction deffo broken with the addition of an Airfix Bristol Bulldog, even though I've offset it with consigning an ESCI F-16B to the sales box. 

Meanwhile back in 1945-46 which sadist decided to allow British military aircraft underwing serial numbers fall over undercarriage doors?  I know it's not that difficult a First World Problem to overcome but it's a pain in the neck and clearly The Men in the Ministry didn't take model makers into consideration!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on May 16, 2021, 02:15:42 AM

I know it's not that difficult a First World Problem to overcome but it's a pain in the neck......

It's a REAL PITA with some aircraft, Vampire/Venoms being some of the worst as the doors are so small!  :banghead:

AFAIK the serials end up there because their Airships insist on NOT having the roundels right out near the wingtips, they all seem to be a fixed distance inboard, which leaves nowhere else for the serials to go but across the gear doors.  :(

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 16, 2021, 05:45:46 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on May 16, 2021, 02:15:42 AM

I know it's not that difficult a First World Problem to overcome but it's a pain in the neck......

It's a REAL PITA with some aircraft, Vampire/Venoms being some of the worst as the doors are so small!  :banghead:

AFAIK the serials end up there because their Airships insist on NOT having the roundels right out near the wingtips, they all seem to be a fixed distance inboard, which leaves nowhere else for the serials to go but across the gear doors.  :(

Hunters must be the worst.