Kitbasher's blog: Too many ideas, not enough time.....

Started by kitbasher, April 18, 2012, 07:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Today is a Big Day.  Some months ago we agreed to accommodate a Ukrainian refugee mother and her young daughter and they arrive this evening.  We've been e-mailing, Zooming, etc, but tonight we all meet properly for the first time. 

No idea how long they will need to stay with us but it is an honour to feel worthy of a stranger's trust in what can only be described as the most difficult of times for them.  Neighbours have said we are brave for agreeing to house our guests but I always point out that it is our guests who are the brave ones, not us.

Huge journey into the unknown for them - strangers in a strange land - far less so for us.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My eldest daughter & her partner are contemplating the same.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

More power to you and your guests Dave, well done.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Well done Dave!  I hope that you all find it a positive experience. Our village are supporting three families as a  total community effort and so far everyone is making positive noises. We have tried to find interests people have in common and so I offered  some kits from the stash.

One 13 year old boy is railway-mad and has started on a couple of  Dapol  locos but isn't interested in the concept of Whiffery.   Two of the 11 year old girls, however, are fascinated  and armed with my book of Rowland Emmett cartoons  of the Far Tottering and Oyster Creek Railway  and an assortment of Dapol bits and pieces are trying to make rolling stock for the supposed Lllandrindod Wells, Sarnesfield Bottoms and Lesser Dylwin branch line............so far, the thinking appears to be a cattle truck with gingham curtains  and a tank wagon converted into a mighty tea urn. Dave down the road has offered to run these models on his layout when they are finished

The English spoken by the families is quite remarkable!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitbasher

Many thanks all for your words of encouragement, very much appreciated.  Have taken the precaution of putting away most of my various military part-builds and pending builds for now, will only get them out when I actually do some modelling (the modelling room doubles as home office and they will be using that for work-from-home and school work while they are here, have left some civvie items lying around though). 

Old Wombat old chap if you feel it may be of help to your daughter and partner please do nudge me by PM for feedback on the first couple of weeks.

Rheged that is awesome - not a railway buff myself but the whifs sound hilarious, well done the girls!
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rheged on June 23, 2022, 08:51:34 AM
............so far, the thinking appears to be a cattle truck with gingham curtains  and a tank wagon converted into a mighty tea urn.

Ukrainian (unfortunately also Russian) = самовар (samovar)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 23, 2022, 10:20:45 AM
............so far, the thinking appears to be a cattle truck with gingham curtains  and a tank wagon converted into a mighty tea urn.

Yes, I'd forgotten that.   Whatever you call it, the idea is magnificently  bonkers !
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on June 23, 2022, 10:47:05 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on June 23, 2022, 10:20:45 AM

Yes, I'd forgotten that.   Whatever you call it, the idea is magnificently  bonkers !

They must have heard that everything in the UK runs on Tes..... which reminds me... time to put the kettle on...

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

I knew this would be inevitable following Tony Eastwood's death, but still sad to note that my LHS - AJ Aviation (formerly The Aviation Hobby Shop) - will be shutting its door for the final time on 30 July.  The end of an era - the shop opened in the late 70s, was my LHS for three years in the mid-80s and again since 1996. 

I think one final visit is in order, to buy what I don't yet know.  Perhaps a couple of books rather than kits, we'll see.

There's a small general purpose model shop in Harlington, no substitute for AJ's, plus Hannant in Colindale (frankly a pain to get to at times), but otherise my LHS will probably become Sussex Model Supplies close to where my daughter lives in Worthing. 

First World problems, eh?

PR19_Kit

Oh no, that's terrible, but perhaps predictable. :(

No way I could get there for a 'last browse' but I'll be with you doing it mentally Dave.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

They're still taking online/telephone orders, Kit.  50% off kits, 25% off books - you could get lucky.

NARSES2

I only visited a couple of times, but enjoyed both visits. Sad to see them go, although as you say, perhaps inevitable.

My local hobby shop is Hannants, 90 mins train, tube and walk.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

I remember going to TAHS many many years ago. It was a quick visit one afternoon purely because I happened to be in the area. I got the general impression of untidyness and not a lot of kits on sale.

I may make one last trip there but for what, I don't know.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2022, 01:02:17 PM
and not a lot of kits on sale.

Must admit it always struck me as more of an aviation book shop with kits rather than a model shop, but as said I only paid a couple of visits.