Stroop “X-Wing” Convertible Speed Planes for the USAAC (1935-9)

Started by jzichek, April 19, 2012, 08:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzichek

A new post is up at RetroMechanix.com presenting the Robert C. Stroop SP-6 and SP-7 "Speed Plane" projects of 1935-9:

These were a pair of designs submitted to the US Army Air Corps which featured a folding scissor "X-wing" to convert the aircraft from biplane to monoplane configuration, the intention being to combine the short field length and climb capabilities of the former with the speed of the latter. The article features 10 images reproducing rare correspondence, drawings, and photos relating to these unusual and innovative projects.

-Jared

Mossie

Very different and could definately lend itself to whiffery.  Another design I was never aware of, thanks for posting Jared! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Vostoc7 will have one of those built, and painted gold of course, before tea-time!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

gofy

In my opinion, British, Canadian, or USAF markings make things look so much better...

NARSES2

The Russians had at least one prototype that converted from biplane to monoplane (I've got the A Model kit) but it's not of that X wing configeration. Really interesting  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Nikitin Shevchenko IS-1, wings had a double fold into recesses in the fuselage and wing root.
http://www.aviastar.org/air/russia/nikitin_is-1.php
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on April 23, 2012, 01:36:55 AM
Nikitin Shevchenko IS-1, wings had a double fold into recesses in the fuselage and wing root.

That's the one Mossie  :thumbsup:

That racer looks good pertime
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.